1. End of Cycle

Friday 31st December 1965

It was a long way down if one were to fall, but that didn't stop Aaron from sitting on the edge of the highest point of the Elkran Citadel. His fingers felt frozen, even though he had bandaged them under his dubwool thick gloves. His ears had been tightly tucked under his fluffy dubwool hat, but his green braided hair stuck along the left side and brushed down his icy pale skin. His feet dangled down and blew in the strong Elkran winds. All he wanted to do was jump and fly away. However, he knew that wouldn't happen.

Aaron's father, Lord Elite Ellio Piscar, grounded his salamence following an incident involving setting his brother Erik's bedsheets on fire. Naturally, Aaron denied it. He looked down at the other young Lords and Ladies leaving the citadel for the new year's break. Most would come back looking completely different. Some have piercings or skin markings to celebrate their turning 15 and beginning their first year in the high school section of the citadel. But not him. He groaned and undid his tie. He stared at the blue mareep cotton with the little tab pattern in one corner. It was light blue. The colour of the house of Piscar. His father's house. Of course, Aaron knew he could have been sorted into the house of the Lord interrogator or Lord Captain, but at the time, he was stuffed into his father's house.

He stretched his legs, stood up, and held tightly onto the pole, waving the blue and purple crossed swords of the Elktan flag. He watched as a crobat passed by, too far away to tell its gender, he watched its four blue and purple spindly wings flap and wrap around its purple egg-shaped body. Its fangs seemed larger than its narrow eyes. Ugly pokémon, he thought as he lowered himself and hung on for dear life as he dropped inside the tower's arch-shaped window and into the pilots' dorm.

"Hey," a boy with long blue hair said, jumping back.

"Sorry, Clarence. I didn't mean to frighten you. I was just... thinking. Was that... Kilgorese?" Aaron shuffled his feet and knocked the snow which had built up on his black tauros skin boots onto the floor.

"Yeah, I've been trying to learn it. It's too hard. Forty-five letters are way too many to remember. I don't get how Mylious does it. Hard 'R' is tough in Elkrat as it is. No one except for Von Recht has a hard 'R' in their name, or at least no one important. Remembering to pronounce it all the time is so annoying," Clarence said with a scowl, staggering over the "R" sound.

"I don't get why they need sixteen more letters than us; it doesn't make them special." Aaron grimaced. "So glad I never took that subject. Colrat is hard enough. Every time I read out loud, I always say their 'J' as 'H'. Dumb letter, and I never know what to say when I see an 'H'. I did so badly in the end-of-year test because of it. My dad got so mad at me. He won't let me go to town to celebrate."

"Oh well, I was wondering if you wanted to come to the city centre with me today. I can't go home, and well... Mylious doesn't have a home, since you know... So, do you want to sneak out and celebrate together? Come on, Aaron, it will be fun," Clarence pleaded, flicking his hair back.