5. The Man from Across the Border

Sunday 2nd January 1966

Aaron's outburst echoed through the destroyed train station. Lord Xanthe scowled and opened his mouth to shout; however, he was met with the raised hand of Lord Elite De Jou.

"You could. Or we could calm down." Lord Elite De Jou looked at Aaron, who clenched his fists. He turned to the Lady who was comforting Erik. "Combee, do you think you could help him up?" She nodded back at him. "Let's go to my little cabin; it's maybe an hour or two from here by sawbuck coach. We don't have to make this a big deal, kid. I'll ask some questions, we will patch you up, and I'll send a squawkabilly to your dad, letting him know I arrested you."

"Fuck you," Aaron scowled.

"Kid, I am not interested in fighting Ellio's pint-sized copy. He knows if he rocks up to war with me tomorrow, I will kick his arse. His Guard hasn't recovered from the purge, and I heard it was a terrible harvest. My Guard is far more experienced, both tactically and practically. As far as I see, you and I could become friends now, Erik. When your father falls, maybe you and I could have something like I had with Hamilton?" Lord De Jou offered his hand to Aaron.

"Aaron. I am Aaron, and I am nothing like my father!" Aaron made sure to pronounce his letters fully, tripping over his Rs a little as he spoke. Aaron then shuffled back and picked up Mylious, who was still bleeding.

"You aren't, huh? We will see. Oh, and that must be your older brother, Erik. Doesn't matter. Come, let's go to the cabin. My wife and I will then call the healer, and they will come and check you all over. Oh... your friend's leg... um... I'll make sure he gets proper treatment for that. Those arrows look deep." Lord Elite De Jou nodded to his wife.

Lady De Jou approached the scared Mylious and knelt next to him. "Come on, sweetie. Let's get you in the coach. I promise I won't hurt you, okay?" Her voice was gentle and soft.

Lord Elite De Jou glanced at Aaron. "Also, your psychic friend shouldn't make shields he cannot handle. If it is going to make him vomit uncontrollably, he will be a liability on the battlefield." The Lord Elite flicked his wrist, creating a psychic shield large enough to protect his whole body for a few seconds before the blue protect fell into dust. "Now, if you wouldn't mind returning your alakazam..." he said, a hint of threat underneath his calm words.

"We aren't friends..." Clarence muttered, scowling and crossing his arms, returning his alakazam to his poké ball.

"I very much doubt that." Lord De Jou waved his hand for the boys to follow and tucked them back into his jacket pockets. "Shall I talk in Elkrat?" He glanced back to Aaron, who shook his head, and Erik, who nodded.

"It would be rude if we don't speak your language..." Aaron whispered. "... And well... I am sorry for not using your title, my Lord Elite... and sorry for swearing at you..."

"You are a teenager, you want to fly free like a beautifly, but you are still a young silcoon. I was a teenager once too." Lord De Jou grinned at Aaron. He then turned to Erik, "Using toxic spikes on your brother and his friends was pretty awful. Perhaps don't do that next time." His eyes flickered pink as he spoke.

Aaron grabbed his head and shook it. What was that? It felt like my brain was not thinking for itself. Aaron took a deep breath and looked at the mosaic steps leading out of the ruined train station. They were bigger than Aaron expected as he remembered his father drilling into him how insignificant the Colran people were and how superior the Elkran people were. He let out a little sigh, which caught Lord Elite De Jou's attention. The purple lampent lighting faded into the beautiful starry night sky.

It is never like this back home. The clouds from the mountains always tend to cover the sky, Aaron thought.

"Sir, since you are a psychic, how come you didn't get sick when you used your power?" Clarence asked as he ran up beside Aaron and scooted next to the Lord Elite.