11. Who We Are

Sunday, 2nd January, 1966

The battlefield, now set ablaze, left smoke rising, making it harder to see. The darkness around them didn't help either. Aaron coughed on the smoke as it entered his nostrils, and he staggered around on the small rock he was standing on.

"The Elkran is having issues staying awake. Now, there's no surprise. He's stumbling around like a lost mareep," Usek called out on the microphone.

"Use shadow sneak...." Aaron managed to squeeze out. His haunter glanced at him before sinking towards the flames. Setting the ground alight only puts you at a disadvantage. Haunters can levitate sometimes, and they can passively phase through things... hydrapple on the other hand... huh?

Lord Elite De Jou's hydrapple took a deep breath, and a large mass travelled up its neck. Suddenly, a syrup bomb slammed into the rock Aaron was on.

Aaron felt his grip give way, and he was thrown back towards the fire. "Help!"

Lord Elite De Jou raised a hand and flung Aaron with all his might against the wall with his psychic powers.

Aaron could feel his bones compact to avoid being broken with the slam.

Ringing echoed through his ears as Aaron opened his eyes. He glanced around the white-sheeted tent and let out a groan. What happened? He sat up, and a blond-haired lady in a white shirt and skirt rushed over to him.

"Hello, sweetie. You are okay. You were just knocked out from smashing into a wall. No bones were broken, but you do have a gash on your arm and a sprained wrist. It's okay; we've bandaged it up, and you need to take it nice and easy. You probably have a few hours left of the festival; just be careful, and you'll be fine." The nurse offered him a hand and helped him stand up.

"Who won?" Aaron asked. "The battle, I mean."

"Lord Elite De Jou, it was close, though. Lord Interrogator Phillipe was dazzling as always," the nurse said, blushing.

"Young Piscar, are you okay? I apologise for throwing you so hard." Lord Elite De Jou walked in, leaning on one of the wooden poles. "Oh dear, is that broken?"

"No sir, just a sprain... can I still take part in the fun stuff?" Aaron replied with a worried expression.

"Aaron!" Erik shouted.

"Hey, Aaron," Clarence said.

"Aaron! A-are you okay?" Mylious asked.

"Yes, young Piscar, you can still have fun. Come." With a wave of his hand, the teenagers eagerly followed after Lord Elite De Jou. He felt like he was a young man again. "Come, come!" He stepped out of the tent and walked along the street towards a large staircase. His heart excitedly raced as he reached the bottom of the stairs of a large stone tower on the edge of the lake. He placed a foot on the steps and pulled out a poké ball. He made quick work of the degraded stone steps as they twisted upwards.

"There are so many people on this tower..." Aaron said as his body brushed against another excited Colran citizen. "Sir, where does this lead?"

"You'll see!" Lord Elite De Jou responded with a laugh. His energy didn't fade throughout the climb, and once he reached the top, he gestured for the teens to hurry.

"L-Lord Elite De Jou!" the man at the top of the tower said with a stutter, his heart pounding through his chest. "Um, I assure you this is legal and I..."

"I have a few to jump. Let's see, four. Four to jump." He pulled Aaron closer but made sure Erik was in front. "I believe they only have one water pokémon, so we will need to borrow two. Is that okay?" He gestured to Aaron, then Erik and Clarence. "I don't think our other water pokémon is well enough anyway." He looked at Erik. I hope your Dhelmise recovers soon.