Chapter 2 Roger

I arrived home, feeling the need to distance myself from Beth. Her words had left me troubled. She had referred to me as a hero, but I knew deep down that I was far from being one. The truth was that I had spent the last decade in and out of prison. I was just a common thief who had robbed several homes and even a bank. I was not deserving of her praise, especially considering my criminal past. It didn't help that she was so beautiful, and I couldn't help but feel embarrassed. In any case, I had learned to accept that I was nothing more than a lawbreaker and a bad person, certainly not a hero.

    I sighed. It was bad enough that she had been at the tracks. Let alone in the path of the train. I only made sure it did not hit her because I knew it would be on my conscience if she died. I might be a thief, but I was no murderer. In some strange way, she had saved me. I felt I owed her.

     I would find out who was after her and find some way to stop it. She had said bad men were chasing her. I must find them to ensure they would not harm anyone least of all Beth.

 I watched the news it showed the coverage of some roughnecks approaching the lady in the alleyway. I could hear her screams on the tape. I was angry. How dare they threaten her? Why couldn't they leave her alone?  She was someone else's sister for Pete's sake. I saw her run to the train tracks and a figure in a black hoodie swooped in and saved the day. I saw me, help her.

    No wonder she thought I was a hero, I thought.  The way the news covered it, things sure appeared that way. I knew better,  I was a thief passing by wanting to throw my life away when I saw her in distress. Hardly the hero type I scoffed.

"Roger's Flashback..."

   I was on the streets. I was frightened and tried hard not to show it. Often those afraid most were the ones to die first. I made myself brave so I could be a survivor.

    I  stole money from a bank, some clothes from a local store, jewelry from the jeweler, and candy from the candy shop. I was only ten and a thief. I did not care, if this is how I survived then so be it, I thought. 

I continued my life of crime. At age sixteen I was sentenced to juvenile detention for robbing three houses, a mall, and a shoe store. At age eighteen, I was set free. At age nineteen I was out robbing people again. I was sent to prison this time.  I got out and did it all again. And again, and again. I was not proud of all I had done or what I had become, but it was all I knew.

 " End of Flashback..."

  I sobbed. I had not stolen things in years. Yet, I was known as a thief even to this day. Once a thief always a thief was how it was said.

   I had been a good citizen if you can call it that for a few months now. I had no idea how long it would last. I was afraid. This is part of the reason I tried to end my life. Beth got in the way.

     I couldn't take her life out with mine. I knew that and so I made sure she lived.

      I sat on my bed confused. What was I  to do now?  I had no job. The last one I had fired me once they found out my past. I was short on funds and the rent was due any day now.

     I thought, Beth, you are beautiful, but blind if you think I am someone special. You are mistaken. Everyone always is you know.

  Little did I know that Beth would be the one to help me in more ways than one.