1

School. Some people dread the word, while others long for the word. For me, I wish that word would burn.

I've always hated school. The learning, the food, and the weird social hierarchy that's always established. Now if I were to guess, my rank on this 'hierarchy' would have to be the "friendless but smart", even though my grades are dog shit. But they don't have to know that.

~~

I'm currently in the lovely class of social studies. The class that has nothing to do with social, but has everything to do with studies. This was my least favorite class. Who cares about what some old white people did? Not like knowing this is gonna change anything.

"...Asher, are you listening. You're awfully interested in that wall." Miss. Goodwin called out. A few chuckles spread through the class. I felt my face turn pink. "Uh, yeah-?" I defended quickly. Hoping that she wouldn't force me to answer a question.

"Well then, you'd have no problem telling me the answer to number 23." Miss. Goodwin hummed. I could feel the smirk on her face. This is why her husband left her and the reason her daughter is dingbat crazy.

"I don't know? B??" I answered quickly, my face still red from the embarrassment. I hated being called out. Especially in front of the whole class.

"That's...wrong~! Pay attention next time." Miss. Goodwin mused. I instead just rolled my eyes and pouted the entire class period.

~

As class finished, everyone began to pack up. Which was normal, but considering a bad feeling running through my gut, and the awfully weird looking figure standing outside the schoolyard. It was safe to say, something was definitely...wrong.

"Ay, Miss. Goodwin! There's a...thing outside!" One student called out. Making Miss. Goodwin raise an eyebrow as she walked over to the window. Her expression shifted dramatically once her eyes laid on the figure. Immediately making the hair on my arms stand up.

"Everyone sit back down please, don't leave until I tell you to." Mrs. Goodwin announced before scurrying over to the phone on her desk, dialing a number and calling it. No one knew what was going on, not even me. So I did as instructed and sat back down at my desk. Everyone else doing the same. Or at least some did. 2 boys were tapping and thumping on the window, trying to get that...things attention.

"Brian, the hell are you doing?" Some dude called out, walking over to one of the guys tapping on the window. "We don't want that thing to see us, idiots." The guy scolded, pulling who I assumed to be Brian away from the window and back to his seat. The other dude followed behind them laughing like nothing happened.

Once Miss. Goodwin got off the phone, she looked more panicked than before. She carefully walked towards the window and peeked outside of it, doing what seemed to be analyzing it. Closing the curtains on the windows shortly after she was finished. "Alright class, just stay silent for a little while, while I figure out what's happening..." Miss. Goodwin hummed sweetly, but the worry in her voice was obvious.

She hurried towards the door and locked it. Not shortly after, the speakers came on.

"Everyone please remain calm and don't leave your classrooms. I repeat, don't leave your classrooms. We are going on a lockdown." The lady on the intercom announced. Immediately making the room fall silent for a little while. A few whispers springing from around the room. So much for having a good weekend. Did all this need to happen on a Friday? Right before Christmas break too. How dumb.