Chapter 3 - Remembrance

"...I want you to embed this deep within your mentality, Zeph."

"The dreariness and terror that comes from tragedy..."

"Is weakness."

"Those who are not strong enough to sustain themselves even in the worst of situations..."

"Can not help themselves in any situation."

"After all, our family is special, born from a long line of those who wielded the utmost power..."

"I have many expectations from you."

"Do not dare disappoint, even for a moment."

...

As Zeph observed the grim scenario, where others nearly fainted and some fell on their knees, he could not help but narrow his eyes down, almost grudgingly at the red eye that was framed behind the man's corpse, overlooking it in an almost god-like way, as what came next were the continuous screams and breakdowns of people in the area, unfortunate enough to witness the tragedy as the protectors sprawled everywhere, checking the village in case of a possible intrusion, the footsteps beat louder than an army of a drumming marching band, it was irritating almost.

"...Ruth Nun, is symbolized by a Red Eye symbol... And an attack such as this after their bandit was ratted out... This is no coincidence... This is their doing," Zeph clutched his fist as he heaved out a deep breath, he had recognized the origin of the threat, but it felt like he could not find out the reason for the threat, however deep down, though it seemed illogically sudden and personal, Zeph felt as though it were a direct attack on himself, for he was the one who discovered the bandit, ruining whatever scheme Ruth Nun had planned, this was likely revenge, the fact the crime was situated at his street made it more convincing.

"...Wait, that scream notifying this earlier happened not too long ago... That means they're still possibly here-!" Zeph gritted his teeth, in a surprised realization as his eyes shimmered a flaming blue through his mask he immediately turned around limply, almost carelessly as he, not wanting for anyone else to get hurt further, produced the necessary magic below his legs to boost himself up one of the taller structures of the village next to him, as he began to observe the entire village from that height alone, forcing his eyes to work overtime to catch even the smallest presence in the area, scanning everything like a drone...

And there he saw it, like an insusceptible trail where no one else could find them, he saw a malicious aura both in magic and in presence, it was at the far corners of the village about to escape, upon seeing it, Zeph felt a shiver run down his spine, the aura looked demonic, unnatural, but above all else, inhumane, like a wild animal almost, it was the aura of a human no doubt, yet it seemed like anything but one, nevertheless, Zeph knew what had to be done as he stretched his feet outward, prepared to dash at the supposed 'leader', but then, without the semblance of a warning, Zeph saw the aura, now in the silhouette of a man, stop in their tracks, it subtly turned, then faced his way...

Zeph froze where he kneeled, unable to move as, unexplainably, his intent completely disappeared, he was aware of it, but he never truly knew why, although he was aware it was much deeper than, Zeph thought. His mind felt like a part of it had shattered like something had been lost for good, information or memory, regardless of how hard he tried to recall, his intent and memory of what he was to do at that moment was essentially non-existent, his breathing was stale, and his magic was unmoving, until suddenly, a mere second later, his mind began to resurface, remembering of his intentions, why he stood at the top of that roof in the first place, but by then it was already too late, the malicious aura had now disappeared from the village, unable to be seen any longer despite Zeph's retrieving efforts.