Chapter 2

Having just finished cooking dinner, Greez called everyone to the table to eat. Merrin and Kata were the first to come, and then Cal arrived a couple of minutes later. As soon as Cal came in, Greez closed the Mantis' entrance door and turned up the heating. It was getting cold outside, and it felt nice being inside the warm ship.

As they all sat down, Greez realized that everyone was strangely silent. The atmosphere was tense, and no-one appeared to be eating very much.

"Huh, you're all quiet today," Greez said rather casually, in the hopes of starting up a conversation.

No-one appeared to take the hint, so Greez was forced to say more. "I wonder why everyone's so quiet today? Is it the cold? Something wrong with the food?"

"No," Merrin said thickly. "Cal and I... we, er... had a bit of an argument."

"Oh, not again," said Greez. The two of them had had many arguments since the crew had arrived on Tanalorr. "What was it about this time?"

Cal suddenly interjected. "We don't want to talk about it right now, Greez. Do we, Merrin?" he asked, looking at her as he said her name.

Merrin sighed, and seemed to ignore Cal. "It was about Kata. Cal doesn't spend enough time with her, and it's hurting their relationship. But when I tried to persuade him to spend more time with her, he-"

Cal interjected again. "Merrin, could we please not talk about this right now?"

"Actually, Cal, I think it's quite important that we do. Especially for your sake. You can't keep running from the truth, Cal."

Even without the Force, Greez could sense Cal's growing irritation. "Merrin, I've already told you that I have my own problems to deal with that I'm working on. I can't possibly deal with them and spend time with Kata at the same time. It's not possible."

"On the contrary, Cal, spending time with Kata could help you to get over your issues. Some company would do you good. You spend too much time alone these days, Cal."

Greez interjected before Cal could open his mouth. "She's right, Cal. You rarely seem to enjoy anyone's company these days. You brood for hours by yourself without saying a word. You've even distanced yourself from BD."

Merrin then spoke. "Cal, we only want to help you."

Cal said something back, but Greez didn't catch it. His eyes were suddenly drawn to Kata, looking small and vulnerable and neglected and scared. At the sight, his heart melted, and he walked over and gently picked Kata up. She affectionately smiled at him as he did so, and Greez smiled back at her. It felt good to be comforting her.

"I'm going to go and keep Kata amused. Your arguing is upsetting her. Cal. Merrin." Greez said loudly to get their attention. "Your arguing is upsetting Kata, so I'm going to take her away and keep her amused while you two sort yourselves out."

Merrin apologized, but Cal stayed silent, glaring at Merrin. Greez acknowledged Merrin's apology, then went into another room with Kata in his arms.

Merrin felt her irritation towards Cal growing. "Cal, you've changed."

"What part of "I'm going through my own problems" do you not understand?" Cal asked condescendingly. He was beginning to look angry.

"I understand that part. It's just-" Merrin broke off, beginning to feel a mixture of pity and sadness. "I just never thought you would change in the way you have."

Finally she had Cal's full attention, and his anger faded.

She continued. "You were dealing with the death of your master years ago. Yet you were still kind and compassionate towards others, despite that. When the crew split, you still kept your good nature. When we reunited about 2 and a half years ago, you were just like I remembered you. You were still you."