Chapter Two

The next morning I'm awakened by someone's loud whispering. I groan and feel the urge to throw something at them before rolling over only to fall on the floor. I open my eyes to see the hospital ceiling and yesterday's events come back to me.

I don't even bother to hide my face when I get off the floor who ever decided to wake me up has already seen me at my worst. Putting the blanket that Martha must have covered me up with on the chair. I turn towards the jock ready to check his pulse only to see his eyes wide open watching me with humor. I yelp jumping three feet back.

"You're awake.” I say awkwardly trying to smooth down my birds nest and wipe the crust from my eyes trying to make the crinkles in my uniform less prominent. I completely forgot that he woke up last night, well for the most part I guess he’s fully aware of his surroundings this morning.

"I've been awake for a while. It seems I won't be able to walk for a while." Stephen says trying to keep his cool while looking me up and down. I look down at my hands nervously. "Is Adam okay? They wouldn't tell me anything..." He wonders still looking at me.

My eyes tear up and I look at him. "Stephen. Adam died on impact" I whisper my voice cracking as silent tears cascade down my face. I hate telling people that almost as much as they hate hearing it. Knowing how amazing the guy in question is makes telling the news even harder.

Stephens face contorts into anger then pain and he turns away from me. I feel the urge to help him but restrain myself knowing that guys don't want to look weak "I'll be back in a little while..." I whisper before grabbing my bag and heading out of the room sparing a glance back at him only to see his lean form in the fetal position shaking with inaudible sobs. I shut the door to give him privacy before heading off to the bathroom.

I rinse my face; brush my teeth and hair, as well as using the restroom before texting my aunt to tell her I'm busy here and heading back to Stephens’s room.

He watches me when I open the door and set my bag on the chair I slept on "Are you homeschooled?" He asks randomly I shake my head and he looks confused "Are you sure because I'm almost positive I would remember someone like you" he licks his lips staring at the relatively short skirt of my uniform. I nod again not wanting to tell him he's bullied me forever mostly because I'm afraid I'll snap his neck. "You kind of look like that Brad girl." He says still studying me.

"My names Paisley if that's what you mean." I snap tired of listening to his annoying deep voice. Okay maybe it's not even remotely annoying, but after hearing him call me Brad I lose it every time.

"Stephen you have some visitors" Martha pipes in and I scoff. I really hate him how does he even have friends? She notices the feud and quickly escorts all of his buddies along with some of the school sluts.

"I liked it better when you were in a coma" I grumble squeezing around the crowd to get out. Before I turn to go to the cafeteria I hear comments about me.

"Tater what was she doing in your room?" The familiar voice of a football buddy jokes. All his football buddies call him ‘tater’ because of his last name Tate.

"Seems like you've got yourself a little nerd stalker!" another adds

They all laugh and make more jokes. I get tired of it and instead of crying I just shove multiple pudding cups in my mouth trying to ignore my stomach who’s telling me to stop. I don't listen and soon Martha's holding my hair back as I clean my stomach out in the hospital bathroom.

"We've had some other nurses recommend you for Tate's full time nurse since you are about the same age. It's either you or Ingrid..." She cracks a smile and I cringe. Ingrid is a beautiful college student, with a colorful vocabulary and an even more colorful wardrobe. She literally has nothing good going it her except her looks. She's got a black heart and a bitchy attitude. We had a fall out when I first started working here. Let’s just say she got stuck working in ICU with people in long term comas so they won't have to deal with her.