Chapter Nine

I skip back to Stephen's room practically on cloud 9. Never would I have ever guessed that Jace would ask me out. Especially after seeing me almost kiss Stephen, but boys are weird and I've wanted to be with him forever so I'm not going to complain.

I see Martha standing in the middle of the hallway not even trying to hide the fact she was eavesdropping. I raise a eyebrow at her but she just shrugs looking at me disappointed before turning around and walking away. That was weird.

I get back to his room quickly seeing as Jace only walked me down the hall a little. I hear hushed arguing from the other side of the door but walk in anyway only to see a member of the Tate family stand there. When I heard arguing I assumed it was Stephen's dad, what I did not expect is Michael Tate. He stands almost 6'2" with coal black hair that he died and deep brown eyes.

Michael is a creeper and everyone knows it. He's 19 and a sophomore in college, well he would be if his parents made him go. Instead he works at Mr. Tate's business which I don't know what it is but kids at school say he's in the mafia.

Doubtful but sort of expected.

"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt ill come back..." I speak thoroughly surprised. Stephen is still glaring at his brother for whatever he just said but Michaels eyes are fixed on me purving on me in my shorts and shirt. It's not like I have much to stare at but he's weird.

"Dude you're freaking her out quit!" Stephen demands from the bed. He can't really walk yet but he can maneuver into criss-cross-apple-sauce position. Michael's eyes rake over my body then he winks suggestively at me and I tense. Stay calm Paisley remember: you're a nice girl and breaking the bad boy's purvy brothers nose would look bad. "Michael" Stephen says his voice cold his eyes no longer on his brother but on me.

"Whatever asshole" Michael groans turning back to his brother. "You screwed up and dads been at home complaining. Plus moms saying that you can make it up by taking her place as the accountant." He says again watching me from the corner of his eye. I move over to my bed throwing a large duvet over me covering an exposed part.

"No" Stephen says. There was no question in there and I almost say that but think better of it when he sends me a warning glance saying 'don't be stupid Paisley just sit there and be quiet' I listen to my subconscious and sit there looking through a word find book taking out my highlighter.

"You're a little asshole you know that? First, you let your best friend die because you wanted to have a little fun and get drunk. Then, you turn down Maddie. Thanks for sending her on the rebound by the way. She was a better ride the third time." Michael says almost as if he's unaware of everything he just said. Stephens head shoots up and I take the time to get off my bed.

"Visiting time is over. Supper for the patients will be right now. You need to leave" I say confidently. Not really lying it is kind of late almost nine now I don't even know how he got in. This day has been taking forever to get bye.

"Yeah whatever. Oh and Stephen" his brother looks at him waiting for another blow like I am. "Maybe this one" he throws his thumb in my direction "won't be as easy as Maddie was to steal away" I wanted to tell him I'm not Stephen's but if I say anything I'll probably kill him. He's pissing me off, not as much as much as Stephen but he is all the same.

"Bye" I say stepping in Stephen's line of vision shooing Michael out the door. Careful not to touch him who knows what diseases he carries. He's fairly attractive so it's not like he rapes girls, but he does push himself on them quite forcefully. Not that he ever noticed me before but I've heard people talk about him.

Yuck.

I ignore what just happened and the fact I knew Michael and Madeline had slept together before and turn to Stephen who has a face full of pure disgust and anger along with a little sadness. "Wanna go to the cafeteria so you can get out of this stuffy old room? I can have someone come change your cheers and everything..." I say hopefully wanting to get out of this room even though I'm not even trapped I can get out and walk around, he can't.