Chapter Three

His mother looks around the room in disgust before turning to her husband who is staring directly at me. Stephen’s older brother is staring at me also and I feel extremely uncomfortable. The tenseness is evident in the room until a small girl trots in the room ignoring the glares around the room.

The moment I look at her I know immediately that something’s wrong with her. Autism comes to mind, but I can’t be sure and I’m sure as hell not going to ask. “Hi bubba!” she cheers in a young sing-song voice he can’t really move around and she’s too short to get up on the bed. Going against my better judgment I move towards her grabbing her small form and lifting her up next to her brother. “Thank you Paisley” I must look taken aback that she knows my name because she giggles turning to him.

No one moves. I’m starting to feel really awkward with everyone in the door blocking my exit did I mention that they are still staring at me? “I’ll be back Stephen.” I say awkwardly pivoting around his mother and moving between his brother and father.

I’m halfway down the hall when I hear obnoxious heel clicking behind me. I absent mindly walk faster as this is what happens before a girl jumps me at school. Keep calm and just breath if worse comes to worse just punch someone in the face. No I won’t…

“Hello loser” I hear Madeline’s snotty voice from behind me before she sets a perfectly manicured hand on my shoulder gripping tightly. “If you think wearing that short little uniform and ‘saving him’ is going to make him like you then you are very, very wrong” she stomps her pointy stiletto on the tip of my foot flicking her hair in my face and disappearing into Stephen’s room.

A few tears of pain seep out of my eyes, but I wipe them out of the way walking towards where I know Martha is attempting not to limp. She sees my tears automatically and starts quizzing me asking if I’m alright. I tell her about my encounter with queen bitch herself. “Oh honey, don’t mind her. She’s just mad because you can pull off the uniform better than her!” Martha cheers getting a few agreeing nods form other nurses. “Go kick them out I’ll bring your bed and fridge once you text me. Remember you’re the nurse here. Be strict but innocently sweet at the same time.” I nod and trot back to room 146.

Upon hearing whispered shouting and some raised voices I decide it’s the best time to enter. Not even knocking I open the door a little slipping my body in between the wall and Stephen’s brother who is still looking at me with pervy eyes. Stephen and his father are still arguing in hushed tones as I speak up. “I’m sorry Tate family but visitor hours are over for Steven. You’ll have to come back tomorrow” I say trying to sound sweet but strict. It works thank God.

“We will finish this conversation tomorrow young man.” His father deadpans side glancing at me. “Send her to retrieve your things because I won’t bring any.” He spits, literally, looking at me fully now. I shrug and try to reply to him, but the words are stuck on the tip of my tongue.

Why in the hell would I go and get his stuff? Clearly Madeline hears Mr. Tate’s proposal because she speaks up following him out of the room talking about something to do with her being his girlfriend she’ll bring his things. His mother looks at me and she’s a lot less intimidating “Dear, would you like a ride there in the morning?” I shrug as she keeps talking “Good I’ll pick you up at ten I know you work at Shell at around noon so I’ll just drop you off there. Sound good?” she says sweetly and I lose all fear of her possibly eating me alive.

“Sounds very good Mrs. Tate” I say courteously

“This one’s sweet don’t bother her like usual Stephen. Do you understand me young man?” I must look shocked because she laughs. I think when she entered the room she thought I was just some stalker trying to get her son’s attention, but I’m beginning to think she might like me. He nods and mumbles a ‘yes ma’am’ before she kisses his cheek and sashays out of the room.