Chapter Fourteen

After making out with Stephen most of the night we finally fell asleep, in the same bed. Which is why I ended up on the floor as soon as the door handle started to move making an obnoxious ticking noise.

"Oh, I'm sorry did I interrupt something?" Martha says innocently looking at me on the floor and smirking. Fudge pops I'm going to hear it now. I fix the blankets on Stephen's bed and he winks at me and pushes down my skirt from the back letting Martha pull me out of the room. "Well, well, well someone had a good night." she swats at my shoulders with each 'well'.

I blush deeply and tell her about everything that happened yesterday "Seriously though, it was amazing. I knew he would change." I gush and her face tightens looking behind me with a sad face.

She mouths 'Stop talking' and I shut my mouth and turn around. Thank God Jace didn't hear a thing and is just coming out of the elevator. “Bye Paisley” she says loudly then leans in to my ear “You best tell that boy.” I mock salute her and she disappears into a patient’s room.

Jace kisses my cheek and I grab his hand squeezing it lightly tugging him behind me into Stephen’s room only to find Madeline perched like an annoying bird on the top of the chair her feet in the seat and legs opened desperately asking him to look at her crotch. I smile lightly when I see he’s focusing on her face trying to keep conversation.

I grab one of the outfits that Linda has set out for me and run to the bathroom leaving Jace alone with Madeline and Stephen. I pull on the skinny jeans; grey tank making sure it’s tied below my belly button with a black tank top underneath it, and some black heels. Brushing through my hair and applying some makeup the way Linda told me to. I look in the tiny mirror happy with my new appearance.

“Ready?” I ask Jace and he nods looking back to Madeline whose face is concentrated on me. Her eyes pinch together and I smile at her gesturing to my new clothes “Linda is an amazing shopper.” She looks confused “Oh you only know her as Mrs. Tate, it’s okay maybe she’ll bring you shopping. Sometime.” Her face drops and Stephen smirks but quickly covers it up when Jace looks towards him.

Jace follows me out of the room and into the elevator walking behind me the whole time. The clicking of my heels comes to a stop when I reach the elevator pushing down and waiting patiently for the door to open. “Why the sudden change?” he asks me and I turn to him.

“Why you don’t like it?” I say my feelings hurt. I really wanted him to think I look nice even if I’m about to break up with him. He was my friend first and the idea of him thinking I look bad kind of hurts.

“No you look great. I was just wondering why the sudden change.” I shrug and pull him into the open elevator giving him small details about my shopping spree making sure to leave out anything that could make him think about Stephen and I being more than just enemies.

We walk out of the door and Karla gives me a knowing look. I may have shared with her my plans for the night. I hand her my name tag and tell her to have it prepared and updated for when I come back. She just smiles and tells us to have a good night giving her nephew a secret apologetic look when he turns around leading me out of the door.

“Are you okay to walk in those shoes?” Jace asks me and I nod feeling a bit ashamed as he intertwines our fingers leading me down the hill towards a small café that I’ve been once before with Carlson when he was having a good day and they let me take him out. That reminds me I’ve got to bring Stephen down to meet him now that he can walk. Also I’ve got to tell Dr. Kingston about his progress so he can be released.

“What would you like miss?” the waiter asks me with annoyance and I know he’s asked me before judging by the look on Jace’s face he finds it hilarious. “I can come back…”