Seven

Seven

"Wait a minute, you're going to the Bridgerton's Sunday Dinner?" Philippa looked aghast when Penelope told her.

Penelope nodded. The two of them were taking a walk-through Central Park. It was something they had started doing when Penelope had started writing full time. Philippa worked at a fashion magazine as a receptionist, and she had related to Penelope a lot more once Penelope had told her she was an "assistant". Funnily enough, Philippa was also obsessed with Lulu Rochester. She said she related to the way Lulu wrote outsiders, but Penelope couldn't understand why.

Philippa had always been friends with Cressida Cowper, one of the most popular girls at their school. While she hadn't had a lot of attention from boys, she had gone out on dates and Penelope could never remember anyone making fun of her except for her being a bit dense about things sometimes. But that was because Philippa cared more about fashion than about most of the rest of the things going on in the world.

"I don't know," Penelope said, "I'm sure Colin only invited me to be nice. He wasn't expecting to see me there. He came to drop off papers for my boss."

Philippa smiled. "So, it's really happening? Wallflowers is being made into a movie?"

Penelope nodded. "Yeah."

"Oh---although it will be weird, watching it with someone we know in it. I never really thought of Colin as heartthrob material."

Philippa had never watched Colin shirtless at lacrosse practice, unlike Penelope, who used to study by the field in the bleachers on purpose so she could watch him. God, how obsessed had she been with him? Now, he was back in her life, and making her feel that way again.

She hated how much he made her feel like a schoolgirl.

"I think that's just because we grew up with him," said Penelope, "but he seems excited about it. I think the whole thing will be great."

"Exciting. What does your boss think?" Philippa said.

"She's happy about the money she's going to make," Penelope replied.

Philippa smirked. "You know, it would be cute if the two of them ended up dating. Thin of how amazing that would be?"

Penelope shook her head and crossed her arms over her chest. It was late fall, and she had a jacket on. "Lulu likes to be left alone. She's not one for publicity."

Philippa shrugged. "Maybe Colin will do one of those fake, PR relationships with his co-star then. That could be fun."

Penelope hated all of those ideas. Really, she hated any idea that anyone else but her would get to be with Colin. But it didn't matter. To Colin Bridgerton, she would always be a charity case. The girl his mother forced him to dance with at prom because they're families were friends and Violet Bridgerton felt sorry for her. Someone like Colin could never fall in love with a girl like her.

Philippa nudged her. "Promise me one thing."

"What's that?" Penelope asked.

"Promise me that you aren't going to get all attached to him again like you were when you were a teenager. You used to do everything for him and he treated you like dirt...but that's kind of how it's always been with them. They view us as people that work for them and not really friends."

Penelope shrugged. "Maybe. But you don't have anything to worry about, Phil. My guess is that when I go over for dinner, Eloise will be mad at me, and I'll get kicked out or something. I only hope it's not before the eclairs."

Philippa nodded. "Those eclairs are fucking amazing. I swear, Violet doesn't put cream in there, she puts fucking crack. Will you steal me one, please?"

Penelope smiled. "I'll see what I can do. I won't have mom there this time watching me and making sure that I only eat one."

Philippa squeezed her shoulder. "But I'm serious. The Bridgerton's are very good at making you feel like you are the best thing since sliced bread one minute and then they can turn on you. You remember how they were when they found out about Dad. They treated us like we were the enemy too."

"I mean...dad did steal from them, Phil. I'm not saying it's right but I understand the anger that they must have felt. They were supposed to be able to trust him and look where it got us?"

Philippa glared at Penelope. "Don't let mom ever hear you say that. She'll disown you in a minute."

Penelope opened her mouth almost to say that she didn't need Portia Featherington's money. But Philippa knew that the two of them had both struggled on their own living in New York, and that every once and a while, their mom had helped them foot the bill. It wasn't something Penelope particularly relished in, but New York was a bitch. "I'm not little Pen anymore, Philippa. I'm an adult. With a real job, and a brownstone. I'm not going to let Colin Bridgerton----or any of the Bridgerton's----completely turn my head. I'll be okay."

Philippa nodded. "Okay. But please don't let Eloise talk you into working for the New York Times. Journalists would eat you alive."

"Hey!" Penelope said. "I'm tough enough I could be a journalist if I wanted to."

"Do you want to?"

Penelope shook her head. "No. Not really."

"That's what I thought. Eloise was always good at talking you into things. Remember that year you both thought it was a good idea to get perms?'

She winced. "Don't remind me. Worst decision I have ever made in my entire life. And that includes the time that I asked Colin to prom thinking that he actually liked me."

Phillippa shrugged. "Well, you're both adults. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and the two of you can be mature about this whole thing. I don't want to see you have a broken heart, though."

"Thanks, Phila."

"Anytime, Pen."