Rider of the Night

My father does not scare me as much as he thinks he does. When a man raises his daughter to kill on command it is rather daft to assume she will be afraid of the man who raised her to be that way. I seem to have become two people trapped into one body forced to bend at my fathers will to protect my secret alias. Bevin Conner, as many would assume upon glancing at me, is my father. I do not look much like him but i have his stoic uninterpreted stare and I dress well.

I am and always have been Cadence Conner, the only child of the regent noble Bevin Conner. I am known around Farthenwood for being quiet as a mouse as i stride down its many halls. I do not choose to speak unless it is absolutely necessary because, despite my opinion being above all preciousness to my father, he does not wish for it.

I would say that I am closer to one of my fathers guard servants than i am to my own father because, unlike many ladies of noble lineage, i was trained since i could walk by Mott who i was now able to best on any occasion with any weapon. Mott and my father are the only ones who know my alias around Farthenwood. I am The Master's Assassin.

"Cadence, we depart shortly. you must be ready." My father spoke softly as we finished our morning meal in the dinning room.

"There is no room for me after the orphans are collected. Do you wish for me to ride alongside you and your men?" I asked.

"yes." he replied without sparing me a glance.

I stepped out of the room making no noise as i did not care for shoes as long as my clothes covered my feet. it went unnoticed as did the light pattering of my feet as the flooring of the house changed. I went into my bedroom and closed the door. there was a small squeak in the hinge which meant that the servants had come in and cleaned again. i always oil my hinges and my father knows of this. he does not like it when i do this but i have hidden the oil where he cannot find it and he does not seem to want to bring it up to me directly so i will continue until he does and probably after that as well.

I removed my breakfasting dress and opened a small secret hatch where i had a black set of clothes masterfully crafted for my alias's attire. i dressed myself in the tight black pants and jacket then proceeded to fasten my cloak over my pants and jacket. the cloak had a hood and fastened around my torso like a vest with no sleeves and had a small train in the back that came around the front although it was much shorter in the front. it was designed this way to hide weapons since the rest of my outfit was made for mobility.

after i was dressed i took a mask out of one of the pockets of my cloak and wrapped it over my face to cover my nose and mouth. i took a small brush and some charcoal and brushed it over my eyelids before wetting an even smaller brush with my saliva and dipping it into the charcoal again allowing me to create a wet mixture to brush onto my eyelashes.

i slid into a passageway once my disguise was complete and i made my way through the walls of the house in the direction of the stables and armory. when i exited the house into the armory i found my sword and daggers and fastened them with my belts and holsters which i kept hidden in the armory as well.

the last thing i had to do was prepare Shadow, my horse, to ride. Shadow was a midnight colored horse that i have ridden all my life. of course Cadence had never ridden this horse because she had a dainty steed that wore ribbons in her mane but Shadow wore strength and might in his stature and fury. The Master's Assassin had trained on Shadow more than any other horse and trusted him with her life as did the horse with her.

sometimes when i think of both of my identities i feel separated from both as if i am watching them both from afar. alas, i am both and i do not wish to be any different in fear that i may disappoint the only person in this house that is more dangerous than i am.