Epilogue

Jaron celebrated with the kingdom for a few hours before he had grown truly exhausted. i also felt quite exhausted and was longing to be able to change out of this outfit. Jaron came up to me and informed me that he was ready to retire for the night and i joined him as we walked out of the room. our bags had already been brought in to the castle and were waiting in rooms for us.

when we arrived at my door i removed my mask and looked at Jaron with a perplexed look as he unpinned my hood and removed it from over my head. i had a clip holding my hair back and he pulled that out of my hair as well allowing it to flow down around my face and on my shoulders.

"i had my servants provide you with a sling to wear when you are yourself. please wear it." he said and i sighed.

"i will only wear it because you asked so nicely." i replied. "if i wear it as your assassin then it will give away my identity however."

"i only ask you to wear it when you are Cadence."

"then i will do as you say."

Jaron stepped closer to me and i flushed as he took my chin in his hand and leaned in kissing me on the cheek gently. i felt as if time had slowed down. the kiss on my cheek felt like forever and i was sure he could feel how warm my cheeks had become even though he did not draw attention to it.

"goodnight."

he backed away and smiled at me and i smiled back at him before i turned away and opened the door to my room. this was the room that i had stayed in on numerous occasions when i was younger and it was clear that other guests had used it. this would be my room now and forever. there was a window that led to the grounds where i could easily sneak in when i needed to make a quick change into my other identity in case there were watching eyes in the halls of the castle.

the fire place was lit and there were fragrant candles throughout the room. my bag was on the bed and there was an assortment of different clothing laid out for me. i washed my face off and rinsed myself before spraying myself with a fancy perfume that was sitting on my vanity and then i put on a comfortable silky pair of night clothes.

i shoved my bag off the bed as i crawled under the sheets. the candles would burn out as would the fire but for now i enjoyed their comfort. the castle was the only home that ever truly felt like it was home and i was finally able to fall asleep with peace in my heart. that would not be the case forever, though, and i need to keep a watchful eye on the kingdom alongside Jaron.