Chapter VI: Unleashed

[Trigger Warning: Vomiting, sickness, body horror, and angst.]

.

.

.

Pomni decided to take a nap after her huge talk with Ragatha and Kinger. Kinger had head back to his room in his impenetrable fortress of pillows. Whereas with her gentle ragdoll hands, Ragatha tucked Pomni in with the quilt she had finished and puffed up her pillow. She completely understood the troubling thoughts that were ailing Pomni. Ragatha wished she could take her pain away.

"Hey, Pomni?" Ragatha whispered.

"Mm... yes?" Pomni asked, lethargy filling her voice.

"Remember, we all love you, and we're here for you. The hard times may not be easy, but we'll help you through thick and thin...."

"Thank you..."

"Would you like me to turn off your lamp?"

"Pretty please..."

With that, Ragatha gently grabbed the pull switch on her lamp, eliminating all the light. It was now nearly pitch black in Pomni's room.

"I will be in the corridors or my room if you need me, Poms. Remember I love you, and I forgive you in advance." With that, Ragatha softly scuttled out of Pomni's room, shutting the door behind her.

Pomni started experiencing a headache and felt feverish. As she lay there, tears streamed down her face and drenched her pillow. She felt a mix of emotions - on one hand, she was relieved that other subjects showed support for her, but on the other hand, she also felt uncomfortable and still anxious. Within minutes, she had finally cried herself to sleep.

...

Professor Caine and Bubble later entered Pomni's room to assess her current condition. As they approached her sleeping body with various gadgets and tools, the door gently opened. Caine placed his gloved hand on Pomni's head, and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Bubble, pass me my thermometer," Caine demanded, his voice barely below a whisper.

"On it," Bubble whispers.

He grabbed the oral thermometer and passed it to Caine. With gentle, slick precision, he inserted the thermometer into Pomni's mouth and under her tongue. It took fifteen seconds for a reading before it started to beep repeatedly, showing a faint red light.

"Oh my stars, she's running a fever," Caine murmured to Bubble. "101.4° Fahrenheit... It must be the werewolf saliva I injected into her earlier. It could be a bacterial infection, which means it's working."

"Should we wake her up?" Bubble asked.

"No, don't worry about it," Caine replied softly. "I'll inject her with one of my fever-reducing serums. That way it lowers her fever while not interfering with the lycanthropy progress."

He took a fever-reducing serum out of his pocket and injected her. With the needle being almost as thin as a hair, it only stung slightly, not nearly enough to scare her awake. The Professor then took out his flashlight and examined her body.

"She sprouted more body fur," Caine stated, his voice as soft as silk. "It's working! Let's get out of here, but keep taking notes though, Bubble. We still need to monitor her progress."

He pulled the quilt back over Pomni's shoulders. Bubble nodded as the two exited her room, leaving her sleeping presence alone.

...