Chapter Seventeen

BORN TO DIE
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Mustafar came into view.

As the ship got closer to the planet, Tahlia placed a hand on her stomach as tears formed in her eyes.

The ship landed safely on the landing platform, and Tahlia remained in her seat with her hand still on her stomach. Obi-Wan stared at her with a frown, reaching for her other hand and giving it a comforting squeeze. He knew it was hard for her. He felt the pain eating away at her heart.

Noticing a figure in a black cloak, Tahlia pressed the button to open the hatch.

"Stay here." Obi-Wan told her, standing up from his seat. "You don't need to see this."

"Wait." Tahlia said, stopping him from exiting the ship. She stood up. "I'm going to talk to him."

Obi-Wan shook his head. "That's not a good idea."

"I need to try to bring him back. If anyone can, it's me." She said, not failing to notice the unsure look in his eyes. "I have to try."

Before Obi-Wan could say anything, Tahlia was exiting the ship. He prayed that she can bring him back to the light side.

Tahlia ran to her husband, flinging her arms around his neck. Anakin wrapped his arms around her, releasing a deep sigh as he buried his face in her neck. He still held her like she was his everything.

And she was.

Anakin pulled away from her and captured her lips in a kiss, his hand on the side of her face. Tahlia kissed him back. He still kissed her with love and passion.

"What are you doing out here?" He asked once they pulled away.

"I know what you've done." Tahlia replied after a moment of hesitation. "I know about the younglings. I know about everything. Please, let me help you."

When Anakin didn't say anything and just smiled, Tahlia bought her hands up, running her fingers through his thick hair.

"Anakin, all I want is your love." She said softly, forcing back her tears. She wasn't going to give up on trying to bring him back. She knew there was still good in him.

He shook his head. "Love won't save you, Tahlia. Only my new powers can do that."

"At what cost?" Tahlia asked, her hands moving down to his arms, gripping them like he was going to float away. "You're a good person. Don't do this."

"I won't lose you the way I lost my mother." He told her, shaking his head. "I am becoming more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of. And I'm doing it for you. To protect you."

"Come away with me." She said after a moment, tugging him closer to her. "Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can."

"Don't you see? We don't have to run away anymore. I have brought peace to the Republic. I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him. And together, you and I can rule the galaxy, make things the way we want them to be." He told her, placing a hand on the side of her face.

There was a look in his eyes that scared Tahlia. Scared her so bad that she started to back away from him. In that moment, she realized she wouldn't be the one to bring him back.

"What happened to you? You're not the man I fell in love with." She cried, tears starting to spill from her eyes. "Anakin, you're breaking my heart. You're going down a path you know I can't follow."

Anakin's gaze fell on something behind her and hatred took over his features. "You didn't tell me Obi-Wan was with you."

Tahlia turned around to see Obi-Wan standing there, his hands on his hips as his narrowed eyes was on his former apprentice.

She looked back at her husband, tears still flowing down her face. "Come back to me. Please! I love you!"

"Liar!" He yelled, startling her. "You brought him here to kill me!"

Before she could say anything, Anakin raised his hand, using the Force to choke her. Both her hands flew to her neck as she felt the air get sucked right out of her.

"Let her go." Obi-Wan ordered.

"Anakin." Tahlia managed to get out, staring at him with a pleading gaze. She started to feel lightheaded and stars appeared in her vision.

"Let her go." Obi-Wan ordered more sternly.

Anakin obeyed and Tahlia gasped as she fell to the ground, her eyes closing as she fell unconscious. Anakin stared down at his wife, realizing what he just done and all he felt was regret. The regret quickly washed away when he looked up at Obi-Wan.

"You turned her against me!" Anakin snarled, eyes filled with hatred as he glared at his former master.

"You have done that yourself." Obi-Wan replied.

"You will not take her from me!" Anakin screamed, throwing his cloak to the ground.

Obi-Wan threw his own cloak to the ground. "Your anger and your lust for power have already done that. You have allowed this dark lord to twist your mind until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy."

"Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan." Anakin spat as they started circling each other. "I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do."

When Obi-Wan reached Tahlia, he leaned down and placed two fingers on her neck, sighing in relief when he felt a pulse.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new empire." Anakin said, his back facing Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan stared at him in disbelief. "Your new empire?"

"Don't make me kill you."

"Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!"

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." Anakin said.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." Obi-Wan replied, reaching for his lightsaber. "I will do what I must."

"You will try."

In an instant, Anakin pulled out his lightsaber and leaped into the air, landing in front of Obi-Wan, who immediately used his lightsaber to block Anakin's.