Epilogue

BORN TO DIE
EPILOGUE
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     For a long time, Darth Vader was alone. All alone.

He hated himself. Everyday he hated himself for being the reason why Tahlia was dead. Everyday, he thought about her, always heard her soft voice, and imagined what it would've been like if he didn't turn the dark side. He turned to the dark side for her. To save her life, but he ended up losing her anyway.

When Darth Vader first laid eyes on his son, Luke Skywalker, he immediately saw Tahlia. He was just like her. Kind hearted, always trying to bring him back to the light side.

Which he did. Anakin Skywalker was back.

Luke reminded him so much of Tahlia that he killed the Emperor to save Luke's life. He couldn't have saved Tahlia, but he could save his son, which he did.

But he was dying, and he was perfectly fine with dying.

As he wheezed horribly, Luke struggled to keep him standing. His eyes widened when his father suddenly lost balance, falling to the ground. Instead of trying to help him stand back up, Luke helped him move until he was leaning against the wall.

Anakin Skywalker's breathing was slowing down. Any moment now, he was going to die, and Anakin was happy to be with his son in his last moments.

"Help me take this mask off." He said.

Luke shook his head. "But you'll die."

"Nothing can stop that now. Just for once let me look on you with my own eyes."

For a moment, Luke hesitated, but he reached forward and removed the mask. As soon it was off, Anakin felt relief rush through him as the cold air hit his face.

For a while, Anakin just stared at his son, growing a small smile as he did.

"Go, my son. Leave me." He told him.

"No." Luke replied, shaking his head. "You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here. I've got to save you."

"You already have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me."

"What was she like?" Luke asked him after a moment, wanting to know what his mother was like.

Knowing who he was talking about, Anakin smiled. "You're a lot like her. So much like her."

At that, Luke smiled, but it quickly disappeared when he noticed his father was only getting weaker as time passed.

Anakin look one last look at his son and when he did, he saw Tahlia looking back at him. In that moment, he knew it was time to go. It was time to die, to finally be released.

He leaned his head back, closing his eyes as he released his last breath, Luke watching him peacefully die as a tear slipped from his eye.

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

     "Anakin."

He slowly turned around when he heard the soft voice he hadn't heard in years. The moment his eyes locked on hers, he felt like crying. Tahlia stood there, a large smile on her face. She looked the same from the last time he saw her.

Still so beautiful.

Tahlia took a minute to look at him. For many years, she's been watching him and their twins. She knew there was still good in him, and Luke brought him back to it.

"Tahlia." Anakin whispered as he slowly started to approach her.

As he got closer, Tahlia noticed there was tears in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry."

"It wasn't your fault, Ani." She told him, knowing he blamed himself for her death. She reached up and ran her fingers through his hair. "I promise you my death wasn't your fault."

Anakin kissed both her wrists before pulling her into a hug, arms wrapping around her. Tahlia returned the hug, closing her eyes as she sighed in relaxation as she melted in his arms.

"I've missed you, my love." Anakin said, his voice breaking as a tear slipped down his cheek.

Still wrapped in his arms, Tahlia tilted her head up to look at him, a smile growing on her face. "I've missed you, too. I've been waiting for you."

"Now we're together again."

Anakin grabbed her face with his hands and crashed his lips onto hers. Tahlia kissed him back with a desperation matching his. Even in the afterlife, there was still a strong connection between them. The love and affection was still there.

Tahlia pulled away from the kiss. She smiled at him before grabbing his hand, intertwining their fingers.

Suddenly, they were on Endor. As Tahlia watched everyone happily celebrate, Anakin was staring down at her, just happy to be with her again. From the corner of his eye, he saw a figure appear next to him and he turned his head. It was Obi-Wan. The last time he saw him, he killed him on the Death Star.

Obi-Wan looked over at Anakin, giving him a small nod with a smile. In that moment, Anakin knew he wasn't mad about what happened. He returned the nod before looking at the celebration happening in front of him.

Luke eventually joined the celebration. The boy was immediately getting tackled in a hug by his twin sister, Leia. Tahlia smiled as she watched her twins hug each other with love.

When Leia pulled away from Luke, Padmé stepped in and hugged him tightly, whispering something in his ear. Whatever she said made him smile.

Luke pulled away from the hug and turned. When he did, he noticed three figures. He recognized the two males, but didn't recognize the woman standing beside his father. When his eyes spotted his father's arm wrapped around her waist, he knew.

The woman was his mother.

Tears started to appear in his eyes as they bounced between his parents, who looked so happy. They were both smiling at him.

"Luke?" Padmé spoke when she noticed him staring at absolutely nothing. She placed a hand on his shoulder. "What's the matter?"

"They're here right now." He said with a smile. He looked over at Leia, who looked confused. "Our parents are here right now."

Leia's face softened as soon he said that.

Luke looked back, but was disappointed when he saw they were no longer there. They were gone.

He looked back at his sister. "She was beautiful. Our mother was so beautiful."

Leia smiled with tears in her eyes. She leaped forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, Luke wrapping both arms around her waist.