Ch 6: The Art of Boy.

The sentry dragged Jadenyx into an open area located in the innermost parts of the prison. It wasn't the dungeon below the hill, like usual. Though mostly empty, the room felt unknown to him. The unpolished stone roof and the walls that were carved unevenly indicated it had no decorative goal. On top of that, a single, lone iron cage sat in the middle.

The iron cage was big enough for a single person to wander around, but not too big enough to run around or live there.

At one end of the room, the wooden chairs facing the cage mimicked the audience's seats during a play. As if the iron cage was not a prison but a dias for entertainment.

Then what did the person imprisoned inside represent? 

Jadenyx was shoved into the cage. He heard the key turning and the lock clicking from behind him.

All this arrangement left no place for a prisoner to hide in the dark spaces of the cage, plotting their escape. One could notice the prisoner from all angles. No privacy at all.

Jadenyx could live without privacy for a couple of hours, for he'd break out of it the moment the city dozed off. Getting imprisoned wherever he vexed the ruler, or whenever Danivol tried to discipline him, became a routine that didn't bother him anymore.

He sat on the floor quietly, pulling the twirly triquetra out to play with it. He thought he had the whole night to pass time leisurely in the cage. Footsteps emerging from the entrance destroyed his peaceful plan.

General Danivol marched inside with a determined look. His monochrome royal blue uniform was paired with a thick, long, velvety deep blue cape secured at his shoulders, trailing his black boots. The golden buttons stitched on his attire boasted his rank in the Savernian army. 

A part of his battalion followed him immediately. Their heads always in submission in front of their leader, yet the yellow light from the lamp above cast dark shadows on them.

They wore a similar uniform without the cape, but it was a shade lighter than Danivol and had bronze buttons instead of gold. Except one. He had red hair and silver buttons. He was whispering something in Danivol's ears while looking at Jadenyx.

The colours of the buttons and the shades of the uniforms determined the ranks in the Savernian army. The Elite Warriors had black uniforms with gold-engraved buttons. The generals wore royal blue with golden buttons, while the Norhums, humans who wielded no special energy, had sky blue or teal uniforms with sky blue buttons. The higher the rank, the darker the uniforms endorsed, and the richer the buttons grew, with no exception of the Savernian emblem stitched on the upper part of every Savernian soldier's sleeves.

Jadenyx didn't stand or greet the general. He refused to acknowledge the general.  Neither did Danivol. The general called his battalion to gather out of audible range from him.

He was as uninterested in their discussion as he could be. It might be about a new scouting mission into the Ichor Lands, or a new form of punishment for the criminals, or about the recruitment of young wielders—all of these were least interesting.

He was involved in playing with the Twirly triquetra when he caught several soldiers stealing peeks at him from the corner of his eyes. Even though he ignored them at first, he couldn't do so when they gathered around the cage once Danivol left.

Having been forced to look, Jadenyx spotted a few unfamiliar faces among the familiar ones. And they had a malicious smirk.

A blue vycelar ray caught him off guard. It scraped past, tearing his shirt slightly over his chest. This left a tiny scratch. Jadenyx growled, raising his head to read the situation.