Chapter 1, Breakthrough

"𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐈 𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐈'𝐦 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤?

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠"

This was it. Your chance to break into the directing industry. The shot you had been aimlessly waiting for ever since you could remember. There was no do or don't here, it wasn't even a choice for you. "Yes, yes, that'd be great!" Though you were sure both of the casting directors on the other side of the phone were more than able to hear the excitement in your voice, you still couldn't stop yourself from stupidly smiling as you accepted their offer.

"Thank you so much for this opportunity" You shook your head in disbelief, finding yourself pacing through the small room you currently called home. A wave of fresh energy crashed over your body while you slowly began to take it all in. It was happening, all the puzzle pieces were finally falling into place.

All the endless nights you had spent at college, trying to stand out from the large crowd, all the emails you had sent countless of directors and producers, the amount of extra shifts at the restaurant you worked at you had taken in order to pay for school, it had all been worth it in the long run. Not only had they given you the golden opportunity of filming the short film you had been plotting since secondary school, the pay was also incredible.

You went over the numbers again in your head, doing the math whilst counting on your fingers. If all went well, and the story would actually have the impact on society you had intended it to have, the money could get you out of the two room apartment you had been living in for the past eight months.

Everything was better than to live with your parents, so you pretended it wasn't a big deal whenever the lights all suddenly turned off, or when your shower ran out of water right as you were applying conditioner. If that was what it took to live on your own, be independent, then so be it.

But this job, it could seriously change things. It could get your name out there with the people you had been admiring since you were about twelve. This project could not only fund a bigger place, but it could also fund your future carreer.

Though nothing had been filmed or even planned out yet, you already found yourself dreaming of the premiere, and the important people you might meet there. The actors and producers were already lining up for you in your head.

Being a director had been your biggest dream since you were just a little girl, reading articles about the growing group of female directors, who were all slowly but surely making their way up there, with all the big, male names that you had heard over a billion times.