part ii : -ance

It was 3 pm in the afternoon. Anaya waved a paper fan, directing the cool air it generated onto her face. Zayan hadn't visited the bookstore yet.

Anaya glanced at the other staff in her store, sleeping soundly on the couch. Then, she glanced away. She wanted to take a nap too. But she couldn't miss the arrival of a customer. Nor could she take naps in the afternoon. It hampered her sleep at night severely.

Letting out a sigh, she wondered if she should read a book. Slowly, she slipped out of her seat and tip-toed around the shop, trying not to wake up her staff.

She made her way to the romance aisle. What should she read? Perhaps one of those 'Romantasy' books Vani raved about? Or a light rom-com? Or maybe a book she has already read? A re-read of her favorite books wouldn't be a bad idea.

As she mused to herself, she heard the sound of a throat clearing. She turned to her left.

"I just need a moment." He explained, not meeting her eyes. "It's a bit narrow in there and um-"

"Of course, of course." She moved out of the aisle. Zayan picked up a copy of Act Your Age, Eve Brown and then moved out, settling in the nook of the shop. Usually, shops restrict reading books within the shop. But Anaya had no qualms about it. They could read the book inside the shop, but they must also purchase the book. Unless they were a student.

Anaya observed Zayan, as discreetly as she could. He had an ID tag around his neck. The tag read 'Shaher Institute of Scientific Research'. A little impressed, she made her way back to the counter, with a copy to read.

She settled on her high chair and opened up the book. Briefly she glanced at the counter to find her reply missing. Her eyes then focused in the direction of the romance aisle.

So, Zayan was, indeed, the gentleman.

That night, as she was about to close the shop, he emerged out. Placing a copy of Act Your Age and Romeo and Juliet on the counter, he pulled out his phone, opening his payment app. Anaya scanned the books.

"That'll be 400, Mr. Gentleman."

Zayan froze. His eyes slowly reached her smiling ones.

"Did you really think I wouldn't figure it out?"

He continued staring at her.

"I'm not all that bad at deductive reasoning. My skills have been honed by the great Hercule Poirot himself."

Zayan's eyes furrowed. "What about Sherlock Holmes?"

"Sherlock is overhyped, in my opinion."

Zayan made the payment and handed her his note, personally this time. He watched for a moment. Then, he quickly hurried out. Anaya didn't miss the embarrassment on his face.