23. meet the josephs

2750 words

"hey, mom?"

tyler stands in his kitchen, elbows leaning against the countertop of the island while kelly stands with her back to him. she's at the stove, stirring spaghetti noodles into a pot of boiling water.

"yes, honey?"

tyler got home late last night. he wanted to stay with josh for as long as possible before they both made the almost eight hour drive home. they've been texting nonstop all day long, but josh was busy with his family so they couldn't hang out. until now, that is.

"can my boyfriend come over?"

"boyfriend?" kelly's head whips around, a grin accompanying her knitted brows. "since when do you have a boyfriend?"

"i met him this semester. we've been dating for a while," tyler explains, opting to take a seat in one of the kitchen stools. he has a feeling this will take longer than he expected.

"really? why didn't you tell me?" she doesn't sound angry, just genuinely confused.

tyler shrugs. "i dunno. i guess i didn't want to make a big deal out of it until i knew it was, like, a real thing that... that would last, you know?"

she clicks her tongue, setting the pasta spoon aside to fully give her attention to her son. she joins him at the kitchen island, tapping her nails against the countertop. "i guess that makes sense. is he from columbus, or...?"

"he is, actually," tyler nods, smiling. "his name is josh. um... he's pretty cool."

"josh, huh?" she quirks an eyebrow. "he's nice to you? treats you well?"

"of course, mom." he rolls his eyes, huffing a soft chuckle. "probably better than i deserve, actually."

"oh, nonsense, ty." she waves her hand dismissively. "you deserve the world."

"thanks, mom."

"do you love him?"

"mom!" tyler groans, his face immediately burning bright red. he places his head in his hands, giggling to himself.

"what? i'm just curious," she defends, joining in the laughter.

tyler takes a moment to collect himself, dragging his palms down his cheeks. he can't stand the embarrassment radiating from him right now. kelly looks at him expectantly, waiting for his response.

"love is putting it lightly," he says softly. his mom squeaks excitedly, causing him to immediately hide his face back behind his hands. "mommm!"

"oh, i'm sorry! that is just too cute. i'm happy for you, honey. of course he can come over! i'm excited to meet him."

"cool." tyler grins, digging his phone out of his pocket. "can he spend the night?"

"i don't see why not. can i see a picture of him?"

tyler quickly sends josh a message to let him know he's allowed over before opening his camera roll. he scrolls through the pictures he has of them together and of josh alone, deciding he can't choose just one photo of josh because he is so handsome in every single one.

"here, look."

he holds his phone to the side, kelly leaning over the counter to get a better look. he starts with a picture he took at josh one night when they went out to dinner. his dark curls sit messily atop his head, two silver hoops in his nostrils, forearms resting against the table. a bright smile sits on his face, wrinkles adorning his squinted eyes, and a soft blush dusting his cheeks. it's pretty obvious he isn't looking at the camera, but rather behind it at tyler.