18. sweet punishment

3404 words

tyler sits at his desk working on a paper for his psychology class. his elbows rest on the wooden surface, fingers tangled in his brown locks as he breathes out a frustrated sigh. he's been trying to get started on writing the actual paper for around an hour, but realized the side of the argument he was trying to take was extremely flawed and it would make more sense to argue the other stance. he was able to find enough sources to back up his claims, but has just been sitting staring at the blank google doc for five minutes because he doesn't know where to start.

writing usually comes easy to him, but he's having a hard time collecting his thoughts today. his two halloween costumes are neatly folded on the dresser behind him, not even in his sight, but it's all he can think about. he and josh just recently bought the finishing touches for their costumes and they had yet to wear them in front of each other. tyler insisted on waiting, but now he regrets it.

he desperately wants to see josh's reaction to him dressed as blue from blues clues. if tyler himself thought he looked adorable in it, he can only imagine what josh will say. as for their other costume, tyler couldn't care less about how josh thinks he looks in a robe and sailor hat. what he really wants is to see josh in his playboy bunny costume. josh hasn't really shown him anything he purchased for the costume, so tyler has no idea what to even expect. he just knows it's going to be great.

he slowly raises his eyes from the desk back towards his screen, the empty document taunting him. ashley would be able to help him, but she's busy downstairs baking the apple pie he spent days begging her for. he couldn't possibly ask her to do this for him too. ryan might be useful, but he's busy on a date with brendon. tyler can't even fathom the idea of having to ask josh, so he just continues to stare helplessly at his screen.

with a slow exhale, he places his fingers on the keyboard and starts typing. he reads his first sentence but is unsure how to continue from that so he immediately erases it. his hands raise to his head again, dragging down his face as he groans. he takes another minute to collect himself before he finally comes up with the perfect introductory sentence.

just as his hands are hovering over the keyboard and about to type, the bedroom door opens.

his focus is gone just as quick as it came, his eyes quickly diverting towards the door where josh stands with a package in hand.

"josh!" tyler gasps, abandoning his work station and meeting his boyfriend in the doorway with a tight hug. "what are you doing here? you didn't tell me you were coming!"

"surprise," josh chuckles, squeezing the younger tightly and pressing a kiss to the top of his head. "i finished lab early so i went to the post office and grabbed this. it's a surprise for you."

he is about to hand tyler the package, the latter giddy with excitement, before he suddenly draws it back in towards his chest. "wait. were you busy?"

"no!" tyler is quick to fib, knowing josh is looking at the desk behind him. he doesn't care, he's dying to know what the surprise is.

"what were you doing, then?" josh raises an eyebrow, gesturing towards the desk where tyler's laptop still displays the empty google doc.

tyler groans, rolling his eyes as he turns away from josh to go shut his laptop. "nothing, just trying to get started on a paper," he admits, then when josh gives him a look he quickly adds, "but it's not due until next friday so i have time!"

"mhm, sure," josh teases, ruffling tyler's hair with his free hand while the other holds out the package. "here you go."

tyler is quick to tear the package open, pulling out two articles of clothing that are individually packaged in a plastic material. he thinks he knows what they are just from the colors, but doesn't say anything until he rips one of them open. he bursts into a fit of giggles as he holds up a bluey onesie in front of him, looking at josh with wide eyes.