~NINE~

Buzz!Buzz!Buzz!

My alarm goes off. Just like that weekend is over, what a wonderful weekend it was.

I roll on the bed, “thank you God” I pray.

First things first, I put water on fire. The weather is getting colder as December is nearing the corner. I've never been a fan of cold weather.

I check my fridge to know what I'll be having for breakfast. I decided on oat pancakes since I have a batter I forgot in the fridge from Thursday.

“Genevieve, see the way you're wasting food” I scold myself.

I pick my phone up to check up on George.

Good morning. How are you? How is mummy?

No matter how irrational she is, I still care for her because she was there for me, when I would misbehave and she wouldn't tell daddy so I won't get flogged. Or the one time I burnt rice when I was sick and she took the blame, she received heavy slaps that day. I still love my mother but it's best I stay far from her and that family.

I take my bath with hot water, I tend to my thighs, they're still healing from the wounds I inflicted on them.

“Good so I can't wear trousers” I tell myself. I pull out a skirt and stare at it.

“I'll make you work” I talk to the skirt. Growing up we weren't allowed to wear trousers as girls because my daddy is a pastor, it had to be skirts or gowns and I hated every moment of me wearing all those flowery gowns with flat shoes.

I finish dressing up, I go with a black jean skirt, white dress shirt and my classic thrift loafers. I start making breakfast, I make the pancakes a little smaller than usual.

My phone's notification goes off.

Lara

Make breakfast with me. Love you😘

I laugh at her text, I use all the remaining batter. 

My notification goes off again.

Lara

Don't have breakfast at home. Come so we can have it together. Thank you 🫂

I exhale, “no can't do Lara” having breakfast together would mean us going to the cafeteria together which means people and friends and interaction. It's a situation I'll happily skip, it's not my kind of thing.

***

“Good morning” Lara smiles brightly, she's dressed a little differently today, she's not in her usual party gowns and heels, she's wearing simple mum jeans and a crop top with sneakers.

“Good morning” I smile, “your breakfast” I hand the bag to her.

“I should start paying you for this” she says, her eyes widen just the way it does when she gets an idea, “you should start a business. You know breakfast business”

For a moment I think of declining but on second thought, I could use the extra income.

“Not bad, first time you're giving a sensible suggestion” I say.

She pouts, “I won't be offended. Shall we?”

I shake my head, “I had breakfast already”

“Vie!! I told you not to” she grumbles like a baby.

“Well…the idea wasn't so nice”

I walk ahead, “see you after your breakfast” I walk into my department and bump into my devil of a cousin.

“Watch where you're going, Bitch!” She hisses.

“You're the bitch here” I mutter.

“Wetin you talk?” She turns to me aggressively.

I eye her weighing my options, fight at work with my boss’s girlfriend or walk away like a coward that I've been all these years.

I go with the latter because I need this job and getting fired would only fuel Christiana's ego.

I exhale, “you won't piss me off further Christiana, go back to hell!” 

She laughs, “hell is where you should be Genevieve and I'll make sure you find yourself there”

“I wonder what you really have against me, but…it's not my concern. I'd rather not know because it'll be pathetic, you're probably just jealous of me”

She scoffs, “jealous of you? What did you have in your life? Different men having fun in between your legs?” She laughs.

My chest does this thing, my blood boils but I can't move, I can't react. She laughs, “you've heard the truth and you can't do anything abi?”

I clear my throat, I don't even recognize my voice when I speak, “you have the guts to call me that? Are you any better? Aborting pregnancies left and right like some baby garbage, you live off the money men give you after you sell your body to them. At least men came for me, you go for them begging for attention. Heck you have sold every dignity you have left as a human being. You and that family of yours are nothing but human traffickers, from a rapist of a father and son to a bitch of a mother it's no damn surprise you turned out this way, no self respect or anythi_” her hand lands on my cheek silencing me.

“Vie!” I hear Lara yell.

“Christiana are you out of your fucking mind?” She eyes the lady.

I hold Lara, "let it be Lara, we're at work” I drag her away.

I pause, “it never ends well for people like you. I know very well, I can swear on my life that things won't end well for you. I'm not cursing you, I'm telling you” I drag Lara away with me, she glares at me all the way.

It never ends well for people who hurt others badly”

~~~~~

It's weekend again, which means I'm going to be updating six chapters!

Love you all 💕