Chapter 6 - Day off

Y/n's pov

"Hello?" my voice hoarse from sleep.

"Rise and shine! I'm at your door. Waiting for you!" It's Kate. She speaks briskly into the receiver and drops it.

"But..."

Can I get some sleep on my day off? 10am. I could still sleep in. I don't even remember what time I fell asleep. I also had crazy dreams. I won't even voice them.
I get out of bed and walk downstairs to the front door.
As soon as I open it, Kate flies in with the dog.

"Good morning to you, too." I yawn and rub my eyes.

"Did you get a part-time job?" she walks over to yesterday's patient history paperwork.

"Kind of. Where did you get a dog? And why is it smells so good here?"

"I ordered us pizza and ate some on the way here. This poor guy tagged along with me. Isn't he cute?" she squeezes the dog. I notice he's missing one eye.

"So what, is he going to live with you now?"

"Why not? Only I haven't thought of a name yet."

"How about Pirate?"

"Noooo. Hm. How about pizza dog?"

"Not bad, but weird."

"Then I don't have any more ideas. I just woke up. Have a conscience. Have you seen the time?" I walked over to the nightstand to make myself some coffee. "You want some?"

"No. Just a glass of water."

I pour her a glass and clean up the papers on the table.

"Have you been sitting over this all night?"

"Yep. But it was fascinating and now I know how I can get rid of the shit in this head." I point to the mrt scan.

"Can I see it?"

"Here." I hold out a stack of papers to her. "Just don't lose anything."

"What do you take me for?"

"For the intruder of my sleep."

"Don't grumble. I love you too." looking at the papers Kate replies dubiously. "Um. Don't mean to question your professionalism, but don't you think this case is inoperable?"

"I don't think so." I snatch the papers from her and fold them. "There is a solution."

"And which is it? Share, Olivia Benson."

"I can't yet. I'll tell Wanda about it first." I pull out my phone and dial her number.

"Are you going to have homework like this all the time?"

I shrug with the phone in my hand.

"Hello?" I am answered on the other end of the wire.

"Hello, this is Y/n. I don't know if you saw my message. I figured it out."

"Hi. Yes, I saw it, but I thought you still sleeping. Didn't want to wake you up. Listen, I'm at the hospital right now and a little busy. If you're free this afternoon and you're feeling well, let's meet up and discuss it live. Are you okay with that?"

"I'm fine."

"Okay. See you later."

"See you later."