Eighteen

There was nothing but darkness. Endless, empty darkness. But her magic kept flowing out of her. Put into the endless void. She gave the darkness trickles of her magic, hoping that it wouldn't seize all of it.

And then it stopped. She could barely move. Hardly think. Where endless light and fire had been, there was only a small orb of light and an ember of fire left.

She clung to them and she shielded the light and fire.

"Light-Bringer."

Cal looked up and saw Baldur before her. He had a hand outstretched to her, his bright red hair brushed his collar bones.

She blinked several times. "Baldur." She took his hand and got to her feet.

She took in all of the figures surrounding them. The gods. Dahlia, Boreas, Javareya, Sol, Napoleon, Alexis-all of them.

"Where are we?" she asked no one.

Alexis gestured to the nothingness around them. "We are in the void between worlds. We don't just watch over Zemlja; we watch over all of them. Ensi, Duniya-all worlds meant to sustain the living are watched over by us."

Sol crossed his arm. "Why did you call out to us?"

Cal looked her ancestor in the eye. "I want to bargain with you."

"You want to bargain?" asked Boreas.

She nodded.

"Very well," said Dahlia. "What do you wish to bargain?"

"Give Luna a second chance.

"There is someone else in there-someone good; who can love."

"Tear down the Wards around Tenebrarum," said Cal.

The gods murmured amongst themselves.

"And what will you give us?"

She looked down at her hands. The House of Fire must live on, said a tiny voice inside her.

"Take my light magic," she offered.

Baldur blanched. "Are you sure about this, Calista? You won't be able to bend and use light ever again. Your descendants won't be able to manipulate it."

"I'm fine with that," Cal replied. "Zemlja has Lucas and the Everlight. It doesn't have another Pyro."

The gods of light pursed his lips. "Very well."

After a moment's silence, the goddess of fate spoke up once more. "Is there anything else that you would like to make a bargain for?"

"One more thing," Cal said. "I want you to restore Matias's memories."

"Light-Bringer... Prince James is a very cunning and calculating demon. If we undo the demon's powerful magic, Matias Pyro-Bjorndottir will remember everything. Having two sets of memories that contradict each other could drive him into madness."

"I'm sure about this."

"What will be your payment?" asked Sol, the god of fire growing impatient.

Cal considered this for a moment. "I have a near-immortal lifespan, do I not? Take that lifespan away and tie it to Matias's. I don't want to hear about the consequences. I just want my husband back."

"Consider it done," said the goddess of protection. "That is all?"

Cal nodded.

Dahlia snapped her fingers. "Then it is time for you to go home, Light-Bringer."

Cal began to fall through the void.