_Nightmare_

PoV: Sonic

"Goodnight, Sonic!" Tails calls before snuggling under his blanket.

"Night, bud!" I call back, then turn to Knuckles, who was on my right. "You too, Knucks." I say, and he just grumbles.

"Sleep, you three." Maddie says, closing the door.

"Good night!" I call to her before closing my eyes to sleep with a smile.

It's been a little more than a month since Eggman was beat and the recovery of the Chaos emerald. I was glad that I could relax now. And it was great that I now had Tails and Knuckles as my friends. Even after fighting Knuckles for a while, we punched out our differences and saved the world together.

I let sleep take over me, completely relaxing my muscles and falling asleep.

*     *     *

I suddenly wake up after a nightmare, looking around my surroundings frantically with my neck fur bristling. I sigh with relief, realizing that I was in my room, but couldn't shake off the memory of the nightmare. It was something about Eggman coming back and... I couldn't save Tails. The thought caused me to shudder, and I shed a few tears quietly.

I didn't want them to hear me, so I went to the bathroom downstairs. I sat in the corner, in the dark, just thinking of what could happen to my friends if Eggman ever came back. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I wasn't really sure why, but I knew that it could help somehow since I was letting it all out.

Suddenly I hear footsteps coming from the hallway, and I hold my breath. Did I wake somebody up?

"Sonic?" They whisper, and I realize it was Knuckles.

"Heh... Hey, Knucks!" I nervously greet, and he tilts his head.

"You... okay?" He asks, and I wipe the tear streaks from my muzzle away.

"Yeah... I guess. Just had a nightmare." I reply, lowering my ears.

"Must've been a bad once since you're crying." He points out. I nod, avoiding eye contact. "What was it about?"

Still not meeting his gaze, I replied, "Eggman was b-back and... I couldn't save Tails..."

Knuckles grumbles sympathetically. "Well, he's fine now, right? And he'll have the two of us when he needs." He says, and I nod. "Come on." He says, holding out a hand for me to hold. I smile gratefully at him, and he helps me up. I expected a crushing, breaking-bones sort of grip, but instead I got just a gentle tug.

I follow him back to the bedroom, where Tails was still soundly asleep. I look at him with a frown. Knuckles places a hand on my shoulder firmly, and I look into his eyes. He leads me to his bed, and pats the mattress beside himself, gesturing that I should lay next to him. I smile and lay down next to him.

Knuckles wraps an arm comfortingly around me. He rubs my chest, making me purr. I lean against him, and he just sighs.

"He'll be okay." He whispers into my ear, making it flick.

I simply nod, my eyes closed.

"Thank you, Knuckles." I mutter, grateful that he was being caring.

Eventually, I fall asleep again, smiling to myself.

*     *     *

I wake up to a yawn beside me, and I look up to see Knuckles looking down at me calmly. I smile at him, noticing that he was still holding me in his arms.

"Sleep better?" He asks.

I nod, nuzzling his side.

I look at Tails's bed, wanting to see that my friend was okay. He wasn't there. He must be downstairs then, I realize with a shrug. I look back at Knuckles, who was stroking my quills with his large, gloved hands.

I just rested beside Knuckles, who just stared at the ceiling. Probably just thinking about some war or honor stuff again, I realized with a soft chuckle.

"What's funny?" He asks, and I shrug.

"Nothing." I reply, sitting up.

I open my jaws into a massive yawn, and stretch my arms and legs. I slept a lot better with Knuckles more than I would by my own for some reason. I hop off the bed, and walk over to the stairs to walk down. I look back at Knuckles, who was walking up behind me, a few loose quills sticking up from the top of his head.

I smile and reach my hand out towards his quills, and once Knuckles understood what my intentions were, he bent down for me to easily straighten the quills. I chuckle briefly before descending the stairs, sniffing the air for any signs of breakfast.

"Morning, Sonic!" Tails exclaims through a mouthful of eggs.

I wave in reply, sitting down in my seat. Maddie brings out two more plates of breakfast for Knuckles and me, both filled with two pieces of bacon, one fried egg, and toast with butter. I dig into the meal, the taste of everything making me satisfied. Maddie was no doubt a good cooker.

I finish the meal literally ten seconds after Tails did, and Maddie chuckles. "What's so funny?" I ask her, placing my plate into the sink.

"You eat as fast as you run." She simply replies.

I chuckle along with her, but stop when I suddenly feel Tom pet my forehead. I pin my ears.

"Hey! I'm not Ozzy!" I protest, and Maddie laughs out loud.

"Yeah, but you're still an animal." Tom chuckles.

"Doesn't mean that I'm a pet, though!" I challenge him, and he finally gives up, dropping his hand back to his side.

"You win." He submits, and I huff in victory, looking out the window. It was a perfect day, and I turn back to Maddie.

"Can I go outside?" I ask, and she nods.

"Go ahead." She replies.

I nod my thanks, and dash outside to the front yard, dashing up onto the roof. I sit on the roof tiles, sighing with a smile as I dangle my feet off the edge of the roof.

"Mind if I join you?" I hear Knuckles ask, and I turn to look at him.

"Of course not!" I reply, and he sits down next to me. I sigh again, looking upon the hills in the distance. "Man, isn't Green Hills just a beautiful place to live?" I ask him, and he shrugs.

"I guess." He replies, and I shrug as well.

"Well, I think it is." I say, leaning against him. "Thanks again, Knucks." I add, and he cracks a smile.

We both look off into the distance, watching the clouds slowly pass by and the trees swaying in the breeze. It was a beautiful sight. At least to me. Especially when Knuckles wasn't my rival no longer.

I didn't really have to worry about anything for now...