(02) nobody wants to fool with you

Slipping on a black singlet, Hayley smiled at her reflection in the mirror. Rolling her eyes at the sound of her mother calling for her to have breakfast, she yelled back 'okay' and hurried to finish getting ready.

Hayley settled on a pair of skinny jeans, Converse and a jumper so her mother wouldn't tell her off about wearing a singlet.

"Wake your brother up!" Hayley's mum, Sasha, yelled from downstairs.

Opening her brother's bedroom door, Hayley wasn't surprised to find the room empty. "Didn't come home!"

Jogging down the stairs, Hayley quickly grabbed the glass of orange juice waiting for her and gulped it down.

"Morning!" Hayley exclaimed, a little hype already from the sugary beverage she'd just consumed.

Sasha smiled at Hayley before tilting her head and furrowing her eyebrows at the sight of Hayley's torso.

Hayley looked down, realising her jumper had shifted and her spaghetti strap was showing.

Quickly undoing her hair to cover her shoulders, Hayley turned away and sat at the dining table.

"Anyway..." Sasha trailed off, before remembering what she was going to say. "Big tournament coming in a fortnight! You've been training the team well, I hope?"

"I'm all over it, Mum" Hayley spoke as she tried to pay attention to the flashcards in her hands.

Hayley needing to study for an upcoming test - she'd missed out on so much study time due to the amount of times she had dedicated to cheer recently.

"If your squad wins, Hayley, you could move twice, maybe three times up in the national ranking" Sasha encouraged her daughter, giving her an excited smile.

"What's this 'if'?" Hayley joked, trying to calm her mother down. She got way too cheer-obsessed.

Hayley stood up from the dining table, having just remembered she had some things to sort out at the school.

Sasha caught sight of her daughter preparing to leave and frowned as the girl packed her backpack.

"What about breakfast?" Sasha asked, feeling upset considering she made something other than the usual toast and eggs.

"I gotta help with the school newspaper today, Mum" Hayley shrugged, slinging her backpack over one shoulder.

"You need protein, sit down please" Sasha sighed, sitting at the dining table with an unfolded serviette over her lap.

"I've got a protein bar, I'll be fine" Hayley sighed, before quickly putting on a small smile so she could leave faster.

"A bar is not breakfast, sweetie" Sasha frowned, watching her daughter opening the front door and yelling out 'bye!'.

- - -

"For this assessment, you will all be paired" Mr Morello spoke to his class, who all began to sigh and groan.

Not only did the class have more Art work to do, but they had to do it with a partner - this was just what they needed so early in the week.

"The partners are as follows..." Mr Morello trailed off, holding a pre-written list in his hands. "Moore and Jackson, Davidson and McDougall, Sanders and Heard, Ferguson and Walsh, Williams and York-"

Hayley listened as the names were called out, however had zoned out after hearing who she was partnered with.

To Hayley, Taylor was just a weird kid who went days without coming to class. Watching as everyone sat with their partners, Hayley sat at a desk in the classroom and stared as the water slowly dripped from the tap beside her.