Chapter 23 "Bane"

"You wanted to talk?" Violet eventually asked the moment she stepped inside and closed the door behind her.

I looked up and met her gaze briefly, before pacing back and forth once again, a certain thought was weighing on my mind for a while now.

"Was it you?" I asked without sparing her a glance.

"What was?" she asked confusedly, "and what happened to you and Black?"

"We were attacked by Carter and his men back at the loft, but if it weren't for some shooter, we would be taken or worse, dead by now. So was it you?"

She eventually shook her head, a frown had crossed her expression.

"No, I was with Sara the whole time. What about the others?"

I shook my head in return. "No, it wasn't them. I already asked."

"Then who could it be?"

"I don't know. They seemed to know where we were. It was perfect timing."

"That's interesting, but you know, I'm more curious about Carter. How did he know that you were gonna be there?"

"I'm wondering the same thing. He always knows where I am," I said, frowning as I wracked my brain from coming up with possible answers.

"Either he's good at tracking people...or there's a mole among us."

I looked at her, meeting her gaze.

"Why do I feel like it's the latter?"

Violet sighed, then flopped down on the couch. She didn't say anything and she looked like she was in deep thought.

"It could be Gusev or James..." she spoke up after a moment, "it's not one of our friends, that's just impossible. They wouldn't dare betray us."

I nodded, crossing my arms against my chest. "You could be right, but we're still unsure. It's best to keep an eye on them for the meantime," I suggested, although I didn't like the idea of James betraying us. I had grown fond of her, and after our talk, I felt a little closer to her. She loved my mom and she was Black's friend, I didn't know if she could betray us just like that, though anything was possible right now, and I shouldn't let my emotions cloud my judgment.

As for Gusev, he wasn't acting suspicious, in fact he had been a huge help training new recruits, directing some missions, since he was staying at the Agency most of the time.

"How are you holding up by the way?" she suddenly asked, bringing me back to reality, and I rolled my eyes, sighing.

"I'm fine," I immediately said, diverting my attention so I wouldn't meet her gaze.

"You don't look fine...I know you already heard this from everyone, but you know if you want someone to talk to, we're here for you, Scar...I'm here for you."

"I know, V. I just don't like...talking about it. It will just remind me all over again. Besides, I'm...managing..."

She nodded in understanding. "If you say so.."

"But thanks though, really."

"Yeah. So, what are you gonna do now?" she asked, which made me contemplate.

"We know Carter isn't working alone, it could be possible he's behind the attack on Olivia."

She frowned. "Could be, but why would he go after her when he's targeting the Elites and the ones close to them, including you?"

"I don't know..."

"He could have taken Olivia and used her to get to you, but instead, he ordered to kill her. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to me."