Chapter 2, Auditions

"𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠

𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐈'𝐦 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠"

Your name fell from the excecutives mouth, snapping you back to reality after you had drifted away for what had felt like merely seconds. Though you didn't have a single clue as to what they were referring to, you found yourself nodding your head regardless.

It was far, far too early to be doing anything on a Saturday morning. The fact that the auditions were planned during the weekend made a lot of sense to you, but six in the morning still felt surreal. If you were completely honest, you couldn't remember the last time you had woken up before eight.

This may sound horrible to some, but college luckily came with its own perks. With most of your lectures not starting until the early afternoon, you often spent the entire morning sleeping in. You were a night owl anyway, so it didn't make sense for you to even attempt to be productive at an early hour.

One thing you were grateful for, was the fact that the person in front of you was in fact a woman. That had been your only request when you were on the phone with at least a dozen different important people throughout the past week. You wanted the story to be for women, by women.

Though your story included several male characters, you had made sure none of them even had a shot at stealing the show, or worse, the hearts of the film's future viewers. This was simply not a story for them to tell.

It only made sense for the film to take place in the eighteen hundreds, as this was the century in which all your favourite poets were born, including the immensely talented Emily Dickinson. The classic but charming aesthetic that the era brought with it, was just an amazing plus.

When going through the ideal target groups for the casting, you quickly discovered that it was important to you that the both strong and independent main characters of the story would be portrayed by actual queer people.

Not only was this project great representation, you also wanted it to look real, and nobody loves a woman like another woman. It was an indescribable and peculiar thing to both experience and witness. You had to go through it in order to understand it, you couldn't just fake it.

Besides, it always pissed you off when you discovered one of your favourite actresses who played a queer character in a show or movie was married to a man in real life, often even with kids. Not that you stood a chance anyway, but it still made you angry.