Chapter 9: Wrapping up

Third person

Kris opened her eyes and grabbed Rose's arm,"Oh?" She squeezed it until the bones of her wrist began to crack. Rose immediately let go and looked at her hand as it healed, "Oh my...". Kris landed on the ground and dashed at Rose, who smirked and swung her spear in a downward slash. Kris dodged to the side and jumped behind her, grabbing the sword on the ground and slashing at her. Rose twirled her spear behind her, deflecting Kris's strike and turning around to slash her in the stomach. She winced and took a few steps back, moving her blade to reverse grip. Rose readied her spear,"you know, that form is heavily impractical."

"Fighting the answers out of someone is pretty impractical too.."

Rose nodded,"You make a fair point.".

They rushed at each other at the same time. Kris moved from side to side before attempting to stab her left. Rose deflected her stab downward with her free hand and smacked Kris in the face with the flat side of her spear. She rolled across the ground and fixed her sword. 'don't think, you'll focus on the pain too much.'. She glared at Rose before glancing up to the stuck sword on the tree to her left.

"Well, what's your next move?" Rose asked with a smile that sent shivers down Kris's spine.

The two stood off for a few more seconds before Kris cut to her left, taking herself up the tree as fast as she could. Rose watched her with intrigue as she flipped her spear and grabbed it in a throwing position. Kris climbed up to the blade just as Rose's spear stabbed the tree, making it fall out of place. Her eyes widened and she jumped towards the other blade, grabbing it and breathing a sigh of relief. Rose jumped from tree to tree to gain height before reaching her spear and swinging it at Kris, who made an X shape to block. She held her position for a moment, but the force sent her crashing into the ground. Kris coughed and wiped the blood from her face,"C-C'mon Kirs..." She looked up and saw Rose land on the ground in front of her. "Very well, I'm impressed." She pointed her spear at the girl, "Now, your aspirations.". Kris breathed heavily, trying to take a step before falling to the ground. She stabbed the ground with her other blade and lifted herself up, looking up at Rose in pain. 'She's so strong, I just don't get it...'' As the adrenaline faded from her body, the damage she had been dealt began to take effect. With no other option, Kris began to speak.

"I-I'm...Looking for someone. They're important to me, and it's been years so- I just want to know what happened the day he left." She turned her head to the side. "Please don't make me say more than that.".

Rose examined the girl below her, taking note of her body language. She spun her spear around and stabbed it into the ground, "Now why would I do that?". Kris looked up in confusion, "What?". Rose chuckled, "I just wanted to see how strong you were, and to know what you had planned for being a scavenger. Looking for friends or family is a fairly common motivation for a scavenger to have. As long as your mission doesn't compromise your work, you're fine.". Kris blinked, dumbfounded. "O-Oh...Um. Ok...". She slowly lifted herself up, taking a step before getting lightheaded and falling. Rose caught her and looked down at Kris, noticing she had fallen asleep before sighing into a smile. "Well you're certainly exciting, that's for sure.". She picked her up in bridal style and yawned, "And tiring, maybe that's because I haven't been sleeping for a while..." Rose sighed and walked to the entrance of the tree,"I need to put in an order for a new window too. Indigo won't be happy..."

Hours later, Kris opened her eyes. How long was she out? She noticed she was on a bed, who's room was she in? She blinked and sat up, wincing at the pain in her shoulder,"I gotta stop blacking out...". She held her head and sighed. "Well, if you performed that well without a proper meal, I think you won't have to worry about blacking out anytime soon.". Kris turned to the side, seeing Rose leaned against the wall next to the door with a glass of wine. Kris jumped and stared at her,"...Were you...watching me sleep?". She asked. Rose sipped her wine and glanced at her, "No, that was Doctor Indigo's job. They went to finish the repairs on your daggers and I was already here so I agreed to take over." Kris blinked, still staring at her,"So...you were watching me sleep." Rose sighs, "I guess, they insisted someone be here to watch you."

"Oh...Where's Ronin?"

"Out on another mission, he'll be back soon. That is unless he finds another child. His finds are usually years apart, so I wouldn't worry." Rose spoke, taking another sip of her wine.

"I see..." Kris still didn't know what to make of this woman. She was still weary, but Rose seemed more docile at this point. At this point though, she had no choice but to trust her. She wasn't in any position to fight, and even if she was, she didn't think she could win. "I- Can I ask you something?". "I don't see why not," Rose shook her glass a little.

"Did you really fight me just to see how strong I was?"

Rose smirked and began to laugh to herself, "You're smart, I like that."

"Huh?"

"There was another reason for it, although the fight would've went a little differently without it." She said as she sipped again. Kris tilted her head, "I...don't understand.". Rose pointed to the wakizashi on the dresser next to her. "All four of the children Ronin brought had a weapon selection test.". Kris glanced at the weapons at the foot of her bead, "Weapon selection test?". Rose nodded, "It's a battle to gauge your fighting style and what weapon best compliments that. Ronin did it himself back when he was a commander, but I had the time.". Kris looked up,"But...I already have my daggers," "And that's why I informed Indigo about your results, they'll be improving the blades of yours soon. In the meantime, I'd suggest you get some rest." She said, getting off the wall and walking towards the door. "H-hey, wait!". Rose stopped, "Something the matter?".

"Who's room is this? I feel bad using it while they're gone."

Rose laughed, "Well I think you'll be happy to note that this room belongs to you.".

Kris looked around, surprised,"It's...mine?".

"I had time to fill out the basic paperwork involving your citizenship. You'll have to do some paperwork of your own, but that can wait." Rose opened the door and went through. A few moments later, she peaked through the door, "Kris, was it?". Kris nodded,"Yeah..?".

"Take a shower, you're far too pretty to be covered in dirt."

"Oh..!" Kris's eyes widened in shock as a blush grew on her face.

"There's a change of clothes in the dresser," Rose smiled and closed the door, leaving Kris sitting in the room.

"Well...I guess a shower wouldn't be so bad right now..."