Chapter Thirty-One

I waited anxiously, pacing back and forth outside of the locker room just waiting for the trainer to call me in.

"Hey!" I heard a voice yell.

Steph and I whipped around. Nate was storming towards us.

"_____?" Steph said nervously.

"Go find security. Quick!" I said. Steph looked unsure at first but ultimately raced to find someone.

Nate pushed me against the wall. "How's your little boyfriend now huh? Is he so precious and happy?" Nate said. I felt even more nauseous now.

"Nate knock it off! Now you're sure to be suspended!" I countered.

"Yeah no shit!" I could feel his breath on my face.

     "Nate what the fuck is wrong with you?!" I pushed him away from me. I'd never seen him so upset before.

"You ruined everything for me!" He yelled.

     Steph raced over with security. "That's her ex. He's clearly fired up after getting kicked off the ice." Steph said.

     They calmed Nate down and I continued to wait for Willy.

     They ended up taking William to the hospital. Auston drove me to the hotel before headed to the hospital. A little while later, he returned.

     "Where's Willy?" I asked.

     "Well, 14 stitches in his lip, small fracture in his cheek and lots of bruising. Auston explained. "Don't cry, he'll be ok." It's like Auston could see the upsetting shimmer in my eyes. He rubbed my shoulder. But it wasn't the same as when William would do it.

     "What happened to Nate?" I asked.

     "Steph told me he went home. He's going through player safety stuff or something." Auston said.

     I sighed. "When can I see William?" I asked.

     "He should be back here in a little bit. I told them to bring him here. Mind if I wait with you?" Auston asked. I shook my head.

     I laid in bed for about an hour or so just thinking about what had happened. A short amount of time later, the hotel room door opened.

     I stood up and rushed to the door. Mitch and JT were helping William over to me.

     "Willy." I said. Steph followed them in. They helped William next to me. Two guys entered behind them. Sheldon Keefe and someone who appeared to be a doctor.

     "Hey lovey." He barely said. His mouth was swollen and bruised. He was definitely on some high meds too.

    "This is Dr. Smith. He's going to explain a little about Williams condition." Steph explained.

     "Hi guys." Dr. Smith started. "William, I'd expect to be out for a week or so. Once his stitches heal on his lip properly, he'll most certainly still have some bruising and swelling. I'll let your team doctor determine what your nexts steps are and whether or not you're cleared to play."

     "Thank you." Keefe told the doctor. "_____ I understand you and William are currently in a relationship. I'm having Ms. Stephanie and Mitch stay here with you two. Auston will be in the room next door with John Tavares." Keefe explained. He left the room along with Auston and the Doctor.

     Steph went to find Mitch while I helped William into bed.

     I fought back tears as I looked at him. "I'm so sorry." I said.

     "Don't cry." He said. You could barely make out words which made me feel worse.

     "How could I be so stupid. Two weeks. Of course he would've hinted to me." I said. William had a black eye forming on his left eye. "This isn't fair." I complained.

"It's not your fault. Was his actions." William tried to say. Steph and Mitch entered the room with their bags.

"_____ he's on some strong pain meds so he may be out of it for a bit." Mitch said.

     "How did I really not realize what Nate was doing?" I asked myself out loud.

     Steph walked over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "It's not your fault hon. He'll get his chance."

     "But then where does it end?" I said. "He did this because of that stupid poster I made!"

     "_____ that poster was amazing! The whole team loved it. The way you called him out, it was incredible. That's why William fell in love with you. Because you were so outgoing." Mitch explained.

     I smiled a bit. William had fallen asleep. "Thank you guys. Really."

     "Yeah!" Steph said.

     "And if it makes you feel any better, Nate is certainly suspended and we still have one more game against Tampa. We will kick his ass for sure then." Mitch explained.

     These people were perfect. They always made me feel good. I didn't feel like this at home. I wanted to stay in Toronto with this amazing group. Everyone was so kind and perfect.