Chapter 2

After he quietly closes the wooden gate of his bestfriend's white painted fence. He smiled to himself. It was always refreshing to catch up with her. He speaks to his mind. He's privileged to have someone everytime he wants to escape from home.

His cellphone suddenly sounded in the midst of pulling his car keys on his pocket.

Hello, Mr. Chandler? His voice as cold as ice as the midnight wind caresses his face.

Sir Darius, where are you? An anxious voice from the other end of the line.

Before he could respond, Mr. Chandler continued.

Something went wrong. Please hurry! I'm at St. Martin's Hospital now.

Okay, I'll be there. Darius quickly said to their butler.

Rushing towards his car, a black vintage Chevy Impala parked near the left side of the house's front gate.

He turned on the engine. The music from his car's playlist sounded simultaneously. To his surprise it was a classic song. One of his dad's favorite song from Harry Chapin, entitled "Cats in the Cradle"

Driving the car with high speed at 1AM is not much of a problem. The whole town seems past asleep and there are few vehicles passing around the street. His heart is beating so fast. What could it be? He ask himself silently.

His hands trembling as he felt the discomfort inside his stomach growing as if he's about to throw up. It's always been like that when he feels nervous. Mr. Chandler does not bother him with anything except when it comes to his father's welfare and he suspects that it's about him.

Oh, good Lord. Not tonight. I hope he's okay. He speaks to his mind as he thinks about his father.

His father had been diagnosed with coronary heart disease years ago before his mother Mrs. Phtia Eduards died of breast cancer a year after that revelation. Since then, every year Mr. Denver Eduards had series of mild heart attacks. He does not want to discuss his illness whenever Darius asked him about it. He will always smile and say things to him that he'll be fine. He has a long way to go..

But Darius has been anxious about his father's condition all the time. And this is one of the many moments that he's afraid to face of.

He arrived at the hospital and parked the car in front of the lobby.

Mr. Chandler waited for him at the hospital lobby. He had never seen their butler, a tall guy about six feet and a half with masculine built, wearing his usual gray polo with embroidery seems like he cried with those red weary eyes.

Sir Darius. Mr. Chandler acknowledged him immediately as he saw him.

Please follow me. He speaks softly to him as if he doesn't want to break into any emotional outburst.

What is going on? Darius insistently ask Mr. Chandler as he himself is quite confused.

The butler slowly opens the door of the hospital room and let him in.

He could feel the coldness of the room. Colder than the wind outside. He can see a tall, medium built and brown skinned guy wearing a doctor's suit. It's his Uncle Tom standing beside a bed with someone lying on it. As he walks and looks closely. He can see the pale face of his dad. Was he dead? A cold blood runs through his veins and it made him shiver.

Dad? Dad.. Daaaddd! He shouted. He cannot contain what he saw. A once handsome and full of life man, now lying lifeless and breathless.

Mr. Chandler hold his arms firmly, to support him.

Tell me, how did this happen? He hysterically look at Mr. Chandler's eyes.

Sir, I was about to give your dad a glass of milk. The usual thing I do whenever he stays home in your library at night. When I open the library's door, I saw him lying helpless on the floor. So I immediately called an ambulance. Mr. Chandler's trembling voice.

His Uncle Tom quickly continued. I'm so sorry Darius but your dad has been dead upon arrival here at the hospital. We tried everything we could to recover his heart beat but it was already not responsive. It was too late. Again, I'm sorry son. He weakly explained.

Few weeks ago, I spoke to your dad about his heart surgery appointment. I want him to have it as soon as possible but he refused. He told me that he have to go first to a business summit in Singapore. I could have insisted it to him or reminded him of the consequence. His Uncle Tom, the doctor regretfully muttered.

Darius doesn't know what to say. His tears rolling in both of his eyes as if it was raining so hard and lightning just hit him with a million volts. He can feel his body weaken and his breathing lessen.

***************************

Were you surprised? Darius, too! Will he be able to recover from the grief of his father's loss? Let's find out..

Thank you lovies for stopping by and reading the chapter 2 of my story Road To You. It's a pleasure to have you read my work. If you like this chapter please don't forget to comment or vote. The more you vote and comment. The more this story reaches to great readers like you. Stay tuned for Chapter 3..

I would like to dedicate this chapter to my husband MarvinJeffreyRoxas for constantly supporting me with all my hobbies and passion in life. He's my wind beneath my wings! :-)