⦗ 𝟎𝟔 ⦘ the bargain

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 - the bargain

          𝐑𝐇𝐘𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐋𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓, a flicker of respect in his eyes at Alicent's resilience

𝐑𝐇𝐘𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐋𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓, a flicker of respect in his eyes at Alicent's resilience. "I am willing to discuss terms," he replied, his voice softer now, a hint of hope coloring his words.

Alicent straightened her posture, meeting his gaze unwaveringly. "First and foremost, I will not stand for any injustice within your court. Should we form this alliance, the well-being of all under your rule must be ensured, regardless of their status or powers."

Rhysand's jaw clenched at her condition, a hint of frustration flickering in his eyes before he masked it with a composed expression. Her demand struck at the core of his reluctance to help the people of Hewn City, reminding him of the delicate balance he strived to maintain between power and justice.

"Your terms are fair," he replied evenly, though a part of him bristled at the implication that he had allowed injustices to persist within his court. "But you must understand, Alicent, that ruling a court as vast and complex as mine comes with its own set of challenges. Not every decision can be black and white when the survival of our kind is at stake."

The blonde held his gaze steadily, her eyes unwavering as she absorbed his words. "I do not doubt the difficulties you face, Rhysand. But I cannot turn a blind eye to those who suffer unjustly under any rule, even yours."

The tension between them thickened, the air crackling with unspoken words and unresolved tension. The High Lord's lips tightened further at Alicent's resolve, a flicker of irritation dancing in his eyes before he spoke in a voice tinged with frustration.

"Your idealism is admirable, Alicent, but it is not always practical in the real world. Sacrifices must be made, decisions that may not always align with your notion of justice," he said, his words laced with the weight of his responsibilities.

The woman's expression remained stoic, her gaze steady as she responded with a steely determination. "I understand the complexities of leadership, Rhysand. But I refuse to compromise on principles that define who we are and what we stand for. If we are to work together, there can be no room for turning a blind eye to injustice."

Rhysand's typically composed facade faltered for a moment, a rare glimpse of vulnerability betraying his features as he struggled to contain his rising frustration. His grip on the ornate chair's armrests tightened, the wood creaking in protest under his fingers.

"You speak of justice as if it is a simple choice, Alicent," he retorted, his voice low and tinged with a hint of exasperation. "But in the real world, sacrifices must be made for the greater good, even if they go against your lofty ideals."

Alicent's eyes flashed with anger at the man's words. Her hands clenched into fists at her sides, her nails digging into her palms as she fought to keep her composure. "Do not test me, Rhysand," she warned, her voice low and dangerous. "I will not let you dismiss the suffering of innocents under the guise of pragmatism. If you cannot see the importance of upholding justice, then perhaps this alliance is not meant to be."