Episode Two: Politics

SCENE ONE

EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD - AFTERNOON

We see a quiet neighborhood off a busy street, with older-style homes nestled next to each other. The houses are well-kept, and the weather is overcast.

The family's station wagon is seen pulling into the driveway of a large, blue Edwardian-style house. The house's exterior is dirty and slightly overgrown. There is a clear distinction between the lack of upkeep of this house and the neighbors.

CUT TO:

A shot from the top of the driveway shows the station wagon pulling in. The car comes to a creaky halt, and the engine is shut off. Anais, Jim, and Nicole are seen exiting the car. Richard has yet to be seen. Nicole steps out of the vehicle, pulls a cigarette from her purse, lights it, and exhales a plume of smoke. Nicole observes her surroundings with a look of slight disgust.

NICOLE

Don't leave your shit in the car; it'll be stolen and traded for drugs.

ANAIS

Ah, yes; Los Angeles has nothing on this charming slice of urban decay.

NICOLE

You're welcome to start hitchhiking back.

JIM

Good luck. You and Mom can share custody of the family scandal.

NICOLE

Hey, hey! Zip it. Get your father.

Jim walks over to the opposite side of the car and opens the door. Richard's sleeping body limply falls from the vehicle and onto the driveway. Richard awakes with a jolt and lies on the pavement momentarily as his family watches him pick himself up off the ground.

RICHARD

Don't everybody get up at once...

The family walks to the front door via a dirty, unkempt porch. It's cluttered with outdoor furniture, planter boxes, pots, and broken power tools. The yard is overgrown, and dense tree branches encompass the dim space.

NICOLE

Grandma could have cleaned. It's not like we're here on short notice.

RICHARD

Nick, stop it.

Richard begins unlocking the front door with some difficulty.

ANAIS

Why clean when we can wait for a crackhead to steal it.

RICHARD

Forgive me for not consulting with you first. I thought the whole 'being homeless thing' might help uninstall the illusion that we can afford preferences.

Anais and Nicole roll their eyes. Richard continues to struggle with the lock.

ANAIS

Is the rest going to be this bad?

RICHARD

Grandma says it's fallen apart just a bit.

CUT TO:

SCENE TWO

INT. MAIN STREET HOUSE - AFTERNOON

Richard finally unlocks the door and swings it open with an audible creak. A thin haze of dust woosh-es across the foyer. The floor is suddenly illuminated to show the thick dust layer accumulated over time. Sheets cover large furniture items, and a large chandelier sits shattered, front and center on the floor.