Chapter 6 - A Rematch (P1)

"Can I Call You Rose?" by Thee Sacred Souls

_____

2/27/1983
7:00 A.M.

My alarm went off ringing in my ear. I groaned slamming down on the clock to stop. Once I stopped the alarm I rubbed my eyes trying to get a grasp of reality. I sighed tiredly as I got myself out of bed I walked out my room and went to the kitchen putting frozen Eggo waffles into the toaster, one for me, one for Audrey. I poured Audrey a glass of milk and I poured myself a cup of coffee.

Once both of the waffles were ready I took them out and buttered them both. After that I went to Audrey's room and opened the curtains to her windows. I walked over to Audrey's small bed and crouch down.

"Audrey.. Time to wake up." I said quietly as I shook her shoulder gently. Audrey groaned turning to put her head in her pillow. I smiled and lifted her up from bed as she tried to fight me picking her up. Obviously, I easily won the battle and brought her down to the kitchen where the food was ready and waiting to be eaten. Placing her in a chair and then sitting down. I began eating while looking out the window.

"Audrey? You like making new friends right?"
She looked up at me and nodded while her mouth was full. "Well, there will be a bunch of friends here today, so once you are finished we have to get you ready. It'll be a fun day today."

She looked at me as if I just said she was the richest person in the world and started stuffing her mouth with the pancakes.

"Woah! Woah! One bite at a time Audrey.." I had told her through a chuckle.

____

10:00 A.M. same day

While filing my nails I hear a ring on the doorbell before I could even get to it Audrey ran down the stairs to the door.

"I'll get it Audrey." I said rushing to the door, unlocking it and opening the door. There in front of me were 4 kids.

The tallest one rocking a mullet and a piercing or two. He wore a jean jacket that has the sleeves ripped, he also had on a Duran Duran shirt with denim jeans. He most likely was a teenager, an angsty one at that.

I looked down at the shorter ones, Charlie, who I already know. But there were 2 other kids. One was a girl who had to be at least 5 had long curly ginger hair with a bow to top it, along with a pretty pink knee length dress.

The other kid probably was 7 or 8 and had curly short brown hair. He had a black shirt on with tucked in jean shorts.

I smiled and greeted myself. "Hi all you guys, it's nice to finally meet you all, I've heard a lot about you guys. My name is [Name] and here's my daughter Audrey."

Audrey waved ecstatic and spoke up. "Hi!"
Both and the other girl and Charlie returned the gestures while the younger boy waved in a shy manner.

"It's nice to see you [Name]." Henry looked at me, I smiled at his comment and nodded.

"Same for you." I replied

"Anyway these three are Michael," he pointed to the teenager. "This one is Evan," he pointed to the younger boy. " and this is Elizabeth." He then pointed to the only girl.

"Well, it's nice to meet you all, come on in." I move aside and let them all I'm smiling while doing so. They all come in except for Henry.

"I should get going, lots of work." Henry explained smiling at me warmly. I nodded at his words, and we said our goodbyes. I went back inside closing the door and locking it. I look back at the kids and see they are all staring back at me.

"So.. What do you kids want to do know?"

________

HENRY'S POV

I get to my office in the pizzeria and sit down to begin doing my work.

"What to do now..." I mumble to myself looking at the pile of paper. As I'm about to pick up the first folder of paper the phone begins ringing

'RING! RING! RI-'

"Hello? May I ask who this is?" I say as soon as I picked up the phone, after a few seconds of silence I hear a woman's familiar voice.

"Hey Henry... it's Rosemary, I know you probably don't want to hear from me but I just want to say I'm sorry... I've worked on myself- I've worked on myself a lot actually.. Therapy sessions, I've quit on a lot of bad habits as well.

I was thinking maybe we could go out to dinner tonight... talk over some stuff?" I think over her words in my head, maybe I should everyone deserves a second chance.

"I guess so.. What about the Ponderosa over by the Walmart at six?" I questioned her.

"That would be great, I'd love that, see you then Henry.."

"You too, bye."

"Buh bye." Once she said bye she hung up the phone. I don't know if I'm excited or I'm just doing this out of pity.

_______

Word Count - 882
8/9/2024