Chapter 2

The next day in history class Mr.Chandresh is ranting on about the Roman military strategies. It's not that I don't like history, it's just from his lack of self confidence he'll stutter and rant on about it too long like it's a magical girl transformation. My mind trails off to my discoveries. Why are people not remembering half of their name? I know Mr.Alcander is senile but still you don't forget your own name. Why are there missing teachers? Who are they? How come we never open the shades? How come we don't know what's going on outside? And how come the desks here don't have gum on them? There has to be kids in this school who chew gum right? Like those seniors from earlier? But why would they visit 9th grade classes? When would they do that? After school? Now that I was thinking about them, I forgot to ask Hesper about the bald senor who looked like her.

                       "Hesper," I whispered. I tapped her shoulder while she sat in front of me about to fall asleep.

                      "Yeah?" "Remember those seniors from yesterday?"

                      "Who?"

                     "You know, the older kids following Mr.Gunnar carrying the girl on his back with the other boy?"

                     "Yeah, that was scary."

                     "Was one of those boys your brother?" She gave me a confused look.

                      "What?"

                     "You know the guy with the scar on his right cheek, dark skin, bald, has the same eyes and nose as you. Do you know him?"

                      "No I don't think I have a brother." Then she paused, and so did I. What did she mean "I don't think I have a brother?" How do you not guess if you have a brother or not. You either have one or you don't. Then I kept thinking about the question of Ciro not knowing his last name. "Hey guys," Twain's voice interrupts us.

                    "Want to be in my group?" We look at him blankly, waking up from our tense conversation. "Well, he said that we needed groups of 3 so I offered... Of course if you decline I can find others to join me..." In that moment I look at the teacher, I look at Hesper, I look at Twain, then finally I look at all the empty desks surrounding us.

                     "Ebony?" Twain asks.

                     "I know why now." I say. My heart pounds in my head just like the hero's did in the graphic novel. Hesper looked at me.

                     "What do you know?" She asks.

                     "Why there's no gum under any of the desks. We're the only people in this classroom." After I say that, it seems that my words become an echo bouncing off all the desks that should have held ears of children to absorb my words.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      In gym Twain and Hesper fight each other like rival warriors enjoying the bloodlust of battle field while Ms. Scarlett observes their fight. Once more we are the only 3 kids in the class, and, once more nothing on the outside can be seen. I grow scared. What have I stumbled upon, what would happen now? Do I want to know? In that moment, something replaces my fear, something crazy, something wonderful; excitement or curiosity. I do, I do want to know. And with that my curiosity grows. Finally Hesper and Twain finishes and we are on break.