Chapter 3

I did not die. Ok, I did but don't worry I'm the main character, I wouldn't get killed off that easily. It's called plot armor. Look it up. All someone has to do is travel the world, get seven mystical balls and summon a dragon god to bring me back to life. Easy. Right now though I am not in heaven nor hell. I awaken to find myself in a place where no color exists. No shadows or graduation either. Nothing more than black and white as if I am in a graphic novel from Asia that Hesper spoke of. The land itself is a white canvas. The only thing painted on it besides myself is black grains of sand that look like, from their speed, have been falling since the beginning of time. I gaze at my hands and feet to find that they look outlined with nothing more than what seems like a black sharpie.

               "You up now kid?" a voice of a young girl makes my head twirl around. Besides her black shorts she is completely white. Without the black sharpie outlining her she would have disappeared behind the white canvas that the black grains of sand fell upon. In that moment I know that this girl has all the answers I am looking for. "Do you not speak from your shock of seeing me, or is it because you just want to hear what I have to say?" She asks in a sarcastic voice. I know who this girl is in my novels, she is God, a board God who has sucked my friends and me into a game of life and death, into a world that blends the line of illusions and reality. I do not feel anger towards her though. For some reason I feel gratitude, maybe for putting me in this world she has created. I smile at her.

                "I'm listening," I say. "Tell me all the secrets of this world you built." She smiles.

                 "I'll start from the beginning of humanity. There people believed in things such as magic and deities. I am not a deity. I saw it on your face when you first laid eyes on me like so many others before you did. Sorry to disappoint you. But like a deity I am something humans created. I am what they call the Black Book of Satan. Of course, I also assure you that I am not Satan. That is the name of a myth humanity created long ago. I am more like the book itself, or the interface, which is the technical term for it that humans now use. Where you are now is what you might refer to as the control center filled with the memories of history. That's what the black ink is," She points to the black grains falling from the endless sky. "Records of ink from ancient times. Eventually as humans learned more of what they call science, beliefs in magic items started to disappear. Magic began to dwindle in the world. I was one of the lucky ones. Before it was too late believers locked me up in these ruins where faith was the strongest, allowing me to survive today. You have been quiet, any questions?" She stares at me in the face and gives me an innocent child-like smile. I wonder if the Siri in the novels I read acts like this too. I wonder if she also has a world of magic and illusions inside her tiny plank like body. It also makes me wonder why she decided to appear in something so child-like when she talks so maturely. But those are questions for another time. There are more important things to discuss.

               "I think you were getting to the part about how my friends and I became stuck here." I reply instead. Interface gives me an amusing smile and continues to speak.

                 "As humanity began to explore science they realized that they could no longer use it for battles against each other for if they did, they would destroy everything around them. So instead of looking to science they once more turned to study magic and use its power as a weapon. Two of the strongest empires, the Haslett and the Vladmira were especially aware of this. Come gaze upon this." She starts walking toward my left, so I quickly follow her. After a moment she reaches out her hand to what seemed like a grain of sand that has now morphed into a ball of ink. Dots shoot out of it forming pictures of everyone I know like a movie. Mrs. Scarlett talking to a queen, Chandresh inside a tent writing documents, then Mr. Alcander exploding a tank(my mouth drops when I see that one), and Mr.Gunnar cleaning a rifle. Some of them are just normal pics in everyday life, like Mr.Ubelt in a class on medicine, and Daniel talking to a couple that look like his parents. What shocks me though are the two senior girls. One shows Carolina as a child crying in a corner with a man pointing a gun at her. Daisy is getting beaten up by policemen. She looks like she isn't even 10 in that. Hesper's is just as bad. It is a picture of her trying to scrub blood off her hands when she appears about six years old. Even after she washed all the blood off though she kept scrubbing. The senior who looked like her is In the next slide. It looks like Hesper is trying to protect a dog that he is carrying into a cage. They seem to be arguing; no, they are arguing. When I turn to the next one it is of Twain, but it looks like it is ripped in half. One side is Hesper and I first meeting him in the art room.