sixteen

Once again I felt trapped

Yesterday I woke up next to Dani, safe in her arms. We woke up way too early and laid in bed talking for hours until a very energetic Evelyn crawled up onto the bed and jumped us awake while singing happy birthday.

Then Dani had to explain to her my birthday wasn't for two days. To which I sighed.

Evelyn told us Hannah was downstairs making us breakfast so we didn't have to hurry, then as fast as she appeared she was gone again.

"I talked to my mom yesterday, after you fell asleep." Dani started, "She said she liked you, said she could see me glowing when I looked at you. I don't know what that means but I think it's good.." She said, I chuckled. "She said that?" I could help but smile.

She then started talking about random things, one being how she was excited for my birthday. Her reasons why being that she liked parties and the free cake "No other reason." she'd winked at me. Doing all this while getting dressed, not at all minding me seeing her. Not like I'd see anything I hadn't yet.

I wanted to stay in bed, skip school.

I wanted her to stay with me, holding me in her arms while she stroked my hair and whispered sweet nothings into my ear all this while Blair in my arms, oh how I loved that cat.

What do you mean mommy issues?

She'd walked over to me, told me to "Go get ready sweetheart, I'll wait for you downstairs." then she kissed the top of my head, her hand on the back of my head, holding me in place.

"Can't I just stay here?" I'd groaned. She laughed, and sat down on the mattress. "In two days, you'll be able to do anything you want. But for now, since you're practically living under my roof—."

"I have to live by your rules, bla bla bla. God Dani you're such a mom."

"I am a mom." She'd smiled. "Ugh." Covering my head with the blanket on top of me I'd hoped to drown out everything that bothered me at the moment, wanting to fall in an eternal sleep.

I got up, "Well bye then, Miss Jensen, I am going back to my own, taking your cat, killing my mother—no wait that's maybe a bit too much...kicking out my mother, and never coming to school again."

"Bit dramatic don't you think?" Dani laughed. "Maybe." I started to walk toward the bathroom. "I'll be quick, see you downstairs?"

"Okay sweetheart." She smiled at me, her smile was like magic, like the warm sun breaking through a stormy sky. It melted away my frustrations, if only for a moment, and gave me the strength to face the day ahead.