Back with a Curse

"This is the guy?"

"Yeah? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well. Kinda expected him to be taller. He's underwhelming."

"He's 13 and been a coma for a year. That's just ableist..."

"Doesn't make him any more impressive."

"He did use your dad's lightning to beat Ares. Haven't seen you do that..."

A low thud was followed by a wince.

"Children, can we just try and heal the boy? We shouldn't be disturbing him anymore than you all already do."

The voices were faint. He could hear. A sense returned. Hope.

His mind was racing a thousand miles a minute, his body jittered as a hand was placed over his chest. The small remnants of lightning danced and coiled towards the pressure on his chest, making his jaw twitch and chatter.

Suddenly, Ashe rose up and shouted: "BOO!"

Everyone but Chiron screamed, falling to their knees or cowering beside the centaur with widened eyes.

Ashe grinned, wiggling his fingers with a snicker as he looked at familiar faces and a distinct new one.

"Woah. You guys catch a wild goth while I was gone? Didn't know you had it in you, Percy."

Having thrown her hands up defensively, the goth in question dropped them with a glare. "I don't like him already."

"Well, that's too bad, I think I'm falling for you already." Ashe traced a fake tear down his cheek, before being tackled back into bed by Percy's Annabeth, and Grover.

"Dude, you're back! You're actually back!" They gave him the biggest bear hug, and Ashe returned it with a smile.

"Yup- so, what's the scoop? How long it been?"

Annabeth and Grover sat up, glancing at Percy with concern. "Well..."

"A year, child." Chiron answered bluntly. They watched to see whether he would fall in to despair at the passage of time, but if anything, he seemed relieved.

"Woah. That's way better than how it felt in my head..."

"You were conscious?" Annabeth asked in shock.

"Yeah. I guess so. But enough about me, I'm still kicking so get to the gossip! I wanna know what I missed."

Percy and Annabeth recapped the events of traversing the Sea of Monsters for the Golden Fleece, and how it revived Thalia, daughter of Zeus, adding a new piece to the prophecy.

Ashe hummed, squinting his eyes at Thalia, who glared back at him with discomfort.

After a few seconds, she plucked his forehead.

"She's mean- gotta be Zeus' kid." Ashe deduced, patting his palm with a fist.

"He's really back..." Annabeth mumbled, her voice still shaky in relief.

"Wait..." Ashe got out of bed and stood next to Percy. They had previously been the same height, but now he was two inches taller. "No..." Ashe stood beside Grover, and even he was a centimeter or two taller.

Ashe scrambled his hair with a groan.

"You guys really grew up and got taller. This sucks..."

Ashe looked at Annabeth, and she was now at least five inches taller. He didn't even wanna look at Thalia- she had to be almost a foot, since she was a few years older.