Chapter 2

I managed to make it through dinner without awkward silence. The talk of the table was about the boy’s race coming up this weekend. It’s the first race of the supercross season and the boys are making their 250 class debut. They managed to get signed to factory teams, regardless if they are different teams they still made it. They asked if I would be there and of course what kind of sister would I be if I didn’t show up to support them.
As much as I wanted to get away from the supercross world it’s inevitable. Between my brkthers racing and my dad being a mechanic for one of the factory teams.
The only thing that would make this weekend tolerable will be the fact that Amber will be there to see Justin race and I can hopefully catch up with some friends I haven’t seen since I have left.

The drive to Amber and Justin’s place was surprisingly therapeutic. Blasting music as I made my way to see the two people I have missed the most since I have been gone. Before I am even out of the car Amber comes running out the door. I get out of the car and start running towards her meeting in the middle crushing her with a hug.
“I missed you. I am so glad you’re back”
“I missed you too Amber. So glad to have you guys back”
We let go of each other smiling like idiots.
“Let’s get inside. We have a lot to catch up on”

We walk up to the house together entering the kitchen where I find Justin pouring two glasses of wine for Amber and I. As soon as he sees me he puts the bottle down and immediately warps me in a hug picking me up off the floor

“My Maisie! I missed you”
“I missed you too J”
He sets me back down and gestures to the wine glasses
“I got everything ready for your girls night. I’ll be downstairs in the gym”
“Thanks babe” Amber gives him a quick kiss and he leaves leaving us alone. Amber grabs the wine glasses and heads to the living room where we take up residency on the couch for our first girls night in 4 years.

“first off, I am so damn glad that you are back. The only person I have had to hang out with is Roczen’s girlfriend”

“awe Kenny and courtney are still together? They seem really good together”

“I agree. And secondly… fuck English men. I can’t believe that happened”
I chuckle as I take a sip of my wine.

“Me either. I just don’t understand it. I have tried and tried to wrap my head around it but I can’t. the worst part of it all, is I have even thought about calling him and trying to see if he wanted to change his mind and that I was really the one he wanted to be with and not his other girlfriend. Like how fucked up is that.”

“You were seeing him for 4 years Maisie. That’s a big blow to take after that amount of time spent with someone.”

“I know. I just… I don’t know. Why was I not good enough to be his only one? You know? that’s the only thing that goes through my mind.” I try to hold the tears back that I can feel brimming my eyes but it’s no use as they start to fall
“is there something wrong with me? Do I not deserve love the way I give love? Why was I not good enough Amber? I honestly just don’t understand it”
Amber reaches out and holds my hand as I continue to cry

“Maisie there is nothing wrong with you and it is the other way around, it’s him who was not good enough for you. You deserve way better than him. You deserve to be loved so much and when the time is right that person will find you and you will know love like never before. Trust me Maisie”

The next 3 hours are spent talking about anything and everything from the upcoming supercross season, her family back in England, my family our friend group and all the drama that comes with that. I honestly felt so at peace in this moment it honestly made me glad to be back home for the first time in 4 years. These are my people and this is where I belong.

Justin came back up and joined us towards the end of our gossip session plopping onto the couch between Amber and I

“Kenny and Courtney are excited to see you. He texted me awhile ago asking if we all could go out for dinner Friday night after practice rounds and fan fest”

“That sounds like a great idea”
While Justin starts naming a few places we could go for dinner my phone vibrates in my lap. I glance down and see a name I haven’t talked to in awhile.

-Chase- So is it true? You’re back home?

I stare at my screen reading the text over and over. Chase was my best friend since we were kids. We grew up together and I made the mistake of shutting him out when I left. He would still make it a point to text me happy birthday and text on holidays but I would never answer. I regret that now reflecting back on it.

“Who’s that” amber noticed I was staring

“uh it’s Chase” I look up at her as she knows I didn’t keep in contact with him when I left

“He asked if it was true that I’m back home”  Justin looks over at me

“He would ask Amber every Saturday how you were doing because he knew you were still talking to her”

“he did?” She nods her head

“He did. He wanted to make sure you were doing okay”

“And I ignored him for 4 years. God why am I such a shitty person”

“You aren’t a shitty person. You left and tried to make a life for yourself and sometimes you try to leave people behind to do so. But Chase is chase and I don’t think he was going to let you go so easily. You’ve been friends for forever. You guys were inseparable”

“Until I separated us”

“You’ll just have to make up for the last 4 years” Justin laughs and Amber smacks his arm

“she has to do no such thing. If it’s as good of a friendship as it seems it will pick up like she never left. Just like ours”

I smile at her feeling so thankful that I have such a great friend who has been with me through this whole ordeal.

“I’m more curious as to how he knew that I was home? I haven’t told anyone but you two and my parents”

“I may have posted a video of your guys reunion when you got here” Justin holds his hands up in the air like he is surrendering.

“Of course you did” I laugh along with amber as she pulls her phone out to see the video.
It was hilariously cute. We both ran into each other so hard we almost fell over while hugging and were laughing like maniacs. And Justin being Justin put the caption as

“Reunited and it feels so good. Glad to have you back home @MaisieC”

I laugh while standing up looking at the two of them.

“I should probably get heading home. We fly out early in the morning for Anaheim. When are you guys leaving?”
“We fly out in the morning too. Do you want me to coordinate something with Kenny and Courtney for tomorrow night? We may as well do dinner Thursday night instead of Friday. I Imagine you’ll be busy with your brothers Friday night before their big day Saturday”

“That sounds good. I’ll text you once we get settled in Thursday morning”
Amber stands up and pulls me into a hug

“Once again I’m so glad you’re back. I missed having my girl home”

I give Justina hug goodbye and head out the door back to my car.

I settle in the drivers side before pulling my phone out of my pocket and clicking on the unanswered text and type my response

- It’s true. I got back this morning.
- Will you be in Anaheim Saturday
- We fly out early morning tomorrow. I’ll be there by Thursday afternoon
- Same here. Big weekend for Riggins and Alfie
- Indeed it is. We will see how it goes.

I head back home, immediately heading to my room to pack my bag and try to get a little sleep before we have to leave at 4am.
I go to my dresser to get some shirts out looking at the photo in the center on top.
It’s a picture of Chase and I at Loretta Lynn’s. He had just won his first 250 outdoor race. He’s covered in dirt and sweat, goggles hanging off his neck arms wrapped around me. Our cheeks squished together as we both hold up his trophy. We were so young but we were the best of friends. Amber was right. We were inseparable. Every weekend I would be with Chase. Every race I was there to watch Chase. Granted I was there because my brothers were racing but I could have cared less about their races at the time. I smile chuckling at how young we were, my chubby cheeks and baby face, as well as chase’s baby face and big smile. His dimples showing, he was that happy. I hope Amber was right, that our friendship continues like I wasn’t gone for the last 4 years.