An Old Acquaintance

After the meeting ended, Meyer left the military complex. The sunset painted the horizon with orange hues as he walked along the cobblestone path leading to the city. Pedestrians bustled by, each immersed in their own thoughts, while newspaper headlines announced a new season of uncertainty. Yet, for Meyer, his mind was focused in one direction only: towards his next destination.

As he navigated the bustling streets, his mind replayed the conversations from the meeting and the words of his colleagues. He wondered what drove each of them, what motivations hid behind their actions, and what kept them united in such uncertain times.

Arriving at a small house made of red bricks, Meyer was greeted by a fragrant breeze of coffee. The young woman who opened the door exuded warmth and genuine affection as she enthusiastically greeted him. Meyer responded with a sincere smile, but his mind still buzzed with the meeting's discussions. Happily, the young woman greeted the soldier. The late afternoon sun's glow filtered through the windows, bathing the room in warm golden tones.

"Hey, Hans! It's great to see you! How have you been? It's been so long since you last visited me!"

With an equally radiant smile, Meyer nodded.

"I've just arrived in New Alberta, was eager to see you, Sarah."

The scent of freshly brewed coffee filled the room, mixing with the cats' meowing and the gentle clinking of cups. Sunbeams streamed through the curtains, painting patterns of light and shadow on the walls. Every detail seemed to come to life, from the peculiar creaking of the floor beneath his feet to the wind's whisper outside, bringing memories to his mind. However, Hans Meyer wasn't there for casual conversation. Upon entering the room, he was met by Major Sammuelle Vandermeer, Sarah's older brother. The air grew dense, as if a shadow had fallen over the room.

"Hans! Good to see you, how have you been? Sit down, I'll pour you some coffee," Sammuelle invited, attempting to break the tension in the air.

After a few minutes of exchanging pleasantries, Hans fell silent and focused on Sammuelle's intense gaze. He retrieved an envelope from his bag and handed it over, while the clinking of spoons against cups filled the silence.

"It's surprising that Captain Velázquez is still alive, but what I don't understand is Voznikov's attitude," Hans commented, finally breaking the tense silence that had fallen over the room.

Sammuelle smiled with a hint of melancholy and took a sip of coffee before speaking, his grave expression reflecting the gravity of the situation.

"There's no doubt that Voznikov is a man shrouded in mystery."

Hans smiled uncomfortably at Sam's comment, feeling the weight of the unspoken hanging in the air.

"Not many Mifdak leaders are interested in sending their defense captains, so Voznikov is afraid. But there might be other reasons for the CSG's lack of interest in sending more troops..."

Sammuelle lowered his gaze, unease evident on his face, reflecting the burden of dark secrets shared between them.

"It's because of that document, isn't it?" he cautiously inquired, as if fearing the answer.

"Yes," Hans replied, his voice barely a whisper laden with anguish. "I still can't believe I saw those photographs. Five thousand soldiers dismembered, not even a bullet in their bodies... If only I could understand how it's possible."

Suddenly, from the kitchen, Sarah's crying could be heard. With tears in her eyes, she peeked into the room, her fragile and trembling figure breaking the tense serenity of the moment.

"So you've only come to take my brother away, haven't you?" Sarah whispered, her voice trembling, her gaze filled with pain and desperation.

Hans tried to calm Sarah as she cried uncontrollably, her sobs echoing in the room like an echo of anguish.