1. Lily Cole

CHAPTER ONE: LILY COLE

+++

Come on, come on, come on...

The voice in my head chants as I breath heavily through my nose and parted lips. I balance my weight from one foot to another, my lower lip wedged in-between my teeth, eyes glued on the tall building ahead where I was supposed to be. 

I wince in pain, my stomach from running a solid five minutes. Traffic in New York was no joke indeed. You could leave early for work yet still be late because of traffic. This however wasn't the case for me. Putting my phone on snooze multiple times was. 

I release my lower lip, my heavy breathing now slowing down a little. I look both sides of myself, seeing the road filled with endless people who, like myself, were going to where they need to be. I zone out a little, my gaze fixed on an elderly lady who stood on my left. 

She obviously felt my gaze on her because she looked my way and flashed a smile. Soon later the rush of feet fills the air, everyone now scrambling to get to the other side of the road. The elderly lady breaks her smile, her face now plastered with a worried one as people barge by her.

She looked no older than being in her late fifties, a small shopping trolley at hand. I turn to see the traffic light, the green man slowly changing to amber, 

"Oh I better get walking,"

Sh comments as she begins to walk as quick as she could. I find it hard to move from my spot despite being in a rush five minutes ago. I stare at her, seeing her short legs get her as far as half-way. I then look back up to see the ten second countdown. 

10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 

Dammit. She was never going to make it. 

I swore mentally. I inhaled deeply before finally moving my own set of legs, catching up beside her. Instead of following what everyone else was done, I did the one thing that I shouldn't have done. 

I quickly fall in line with her. If there was one thing I knew for sure it was that my mind and body were not synchronized one bit. My arm moved before my mind could apprehend, moving to the back of my head to release my brown, wavy hair from a hair-tie. 

I bite my bottom lip, shaking my head to let the cool breeze skim through the strands and scalp, eyes fixed on the elderly lady as she finally made it across with the few extra seconds I bought her. 

I was so lost in thought whilst doing so that I jumped slightly from the beeps and honks from their cars. I mean, who could blame them. I was taking those few extra minutes of their time. Giving the drivers one last look, I leave the road making it to the other side in seconds. 

As I stepped onto the pavement, I stood by the elderly lady who waited around unlike everyone else. She flashes me a soft smile, letting go of her shopping trolley to hold my hand, 

"Thank you dear, you didn't have to do that,"

Her skin against mine felt warm and hugging. The sense of comfort filling my chest, reminding me of my gran who used to hold me. I place a hand on top of her and reply, 

"Don't be silly, I would've done it regardless,"

The lady shook her head, her gaze falling from the top of my head to my heels. A small chuckle leaving her lips as she states, 

"If that's the case, I hope you don't blame me. I'm sure you've got places to be right now,"

I inhale quietly, a hand leaving hers to rub the nape of my neck. The realization of running late finally sinking in,