Light Amongst Black

Her complexion turned black as her third eye appeared on her forehead, all three of them bloodshot red. Her skin was dark as kohl and she stood naked in full glory. A garland of decapitated heads hung around her neck along with a Hibiscus garland and severed hands rested on her waist as a belt. A sharp scimitar was held in her hand and she breathed heavily in fury.

Seeing this fierce form, Ghorasur got scared and stepped back.

"Ghorasur, I give you one last chance. Go back or fight with me and meet your death" Kalika warned.

If it was anyone else, they would have backed down but Ghorasur's ego didn't let him and he moved forward to fight with her. He tried to strike Kalika with his word but she blocked it merely by her hand and twisted his wrists so much to have surely broken it. As he tried to go at her again, she slapped him hard across his face and he fell backwards. Before he could get up, Kalika grabbed him by his neck and dragged him towards the cremation grounds.

As the fire of pyre was burning, the huge body of Ghorasur slammed down on the ground as Kalika thew him onward.

"You wanted to have me, right? I am death herself, you fool! Now you will have death!" Kaali roared and took hold of the demon's neck and with a swift slash from her scimitar, she detached the head from his body. As blood sprew from the gaping neck of Ghorasur, Kalika drank the blood, drenching herself in the red liquid.

Shiva watched from the peaks of Kailash as Kaali fumed in anger. He knew what can happen if she goes berserk so before that could happen, Shiva appeared in front of her.

"Devi, you've won our argument. You need to calm down now. I had desired your lotus feet, so please place your right foot on me" Shiva said and laid down on front of her. Kalika looked at the smiling face of her husband beneath her and placed her red painted right feet on his chest. As she did, she stuck out her tongue which was crimson with the blood of the demon, as if mocking anyone who questions her powers. Her upper left hand held the scimitar and the lower held the decapitated head of the demon. The upper and lower right hands gave blessings and assurance. In the grounds of cremation where the burning pyres illuminated the environment, this image of Kali stood amongst them as the embodiment of the Supreme feminine.

"Devi Kalika" spoke Shiva from beneath her. "As you have stepped on me with your right leg, this form of yours will be known as Dakshina Kalika. Deriving from fierceness, this form will be worshipped as the supreme divine mother."

Kali looked at him who was staring back at her, as if lost in the beauty amongst ocean of her darkness. She slowly retrieved her feet and Shiva stood as she transformed back into Parvati.

"Will you ever try to challenge me from now?" Parvati said with a smirk. Shiva shook his head.

"No my dear Goddess, I wouldn't ever dare to mess with you again. It is only you who can win over this Shiva and I'll forever be submitted to you."

Parvati smiled, "Mahadev, this is all but a part of our divine plays that you had initiated with your wish."

The couple started to walk along the lake, going back to their abode when suddenly Shiva stopped in his tracks.

"What happened, Mahadev? Why did you stop now?" Parvati asked.

"Uma, I have already secured my place under your right feet but when will I get your left feet?"

Parvati softly shook her head, "You will not give up on that will you? Alright, if that's the case then I promise you that in the different kalpas where I will take form to kill Mahishasur, one of those times, Mahishasur will be born from your part and I will kill him by placing my left feet. And before that, I will be worshipped as Vama Kali in Tantra where I will keep my left feet on you. Is it okay now? "

Shiva smiled and nodded.

"Let's go home now, Uma. Kailash awaits us."

Shiva and Shakti reached Kailash and they were welcomed grandly by the residents at the completion of their leela. It was the that they saw, from the peak of Kailash, Indra and Brihaspati approaching them.