Chapter 2: She Lives!

The next morning, the sun rays shined through the stain glass window of the Palace of Justice onto the bedspread of the guest bed that the unconscious Charlotte was laying on.

Suddenly, by the grace of God, she started to groan a little while beginning to stretch as if she just woke up from a long nap.

However, her sight was still a little blurry and she felt woozy from all of the blood loss she suffered weeks earlier.  She also had old dried up blood underneath her along with some fresh blood still coming out of her.

"How did I get in here?" she wondered, still with blurry vision.

When she fully came to her senses, she thought that she had a horrible nightmare, until she tried to get out of bed. 

A terrible pain stopped her which caused her to scream out in response, just like she did the night when she first entered labor.

A maid servant quickly ran into the room, hearing her scream from outside, and was very much stunned that this little girl was awake and conscious.  She gasped in shock and ran right out of the room and told was shouting through the corridors,

"She's awake!  She lives!" 

Of course no one believed her initially, but when other servants came in the room they were just as amazed as she was.

Charlotte, who was only 11 years old, was not supposed to survive this terrible ordeal.  She was far too small and underdeveloped for her to do so, but despite all odds, she did anyways.

When word got back to Frollo later on the day, he confirmed in his delusional mind that she was indeed a witch and that no human being could possibly survive such a traumatic event nor give birth to a child like Quasimodo.

After he returned from patrolling the streets of Paris, he went up to the room that his young wife was resting in.  

The physician was examining the young girl while Gertrud was crying tears of joy.  As soon as he saw the minister, he stopped and him led him outside the room.

"Minister Frollo!" the physician greeted him.  "In all my years of practice, I've never seen this before!  I had never thought that this could even been possible for a such a young and small girl to survive an ordeal so horrific!  I've seen plenty of fully grown women die from births no where near as bad as this!  Your wife is a medical mira—" he was cut off.

"The only reason why the witch is still living is because she used her dark magic to keep herself from dying, just like she did when she birthed that monstrous creature!" Frollo spat in disgust.

"However, due to the severity of the damage and internal scarring that her body has sustained, she will no longer be able to bear you any more children, Your Honor.  She will also suffer pain for many more years to come and be emotional scarred by this as a long term result.  And this point, she is past the stage of an infection happening, so that is good," he told him formally.  But sadly, she won't be same as she was ever again."