CHAPTER TWO

(episode two ; the weirdo on maple street)

THE BIRDS TWEETED GRACEFULLY outside of Cassie's bedroom window. She lay on her bed, flat on her back, watching the dull chandeleir that hung from her ceiling. Cassie hadn't slept at all last night. All she could do was replay the moments of when she saw that thing last night.

Aaron had told her it was just a bear, but she wasn't to convinced. She hadn't told the boy, but when the creature scurried through the leaves, she shone her flashlight into its face, revealing its slimy, open wide, flower like mouth, flashing hundreds of tiny, sharp teeth.

She didn't know if she had just been seeing things, the light playing tricks on her, but she was uncertain. The face of the creature repeatedly flashed through her head no matter how hard she tried. Its growls replayed through her ears non stop.

The girl shot up, not being able to take it anymore. She walked to her vanity mirror, thoroughly brushing through her thick, brown hair. She strolled towards her brothers door, knocking on it lightly as a sign for him to get up. She heard a soft groan and some tired shuffles coming from inside his room.

——

The two siblings did their usual routine, parking outside the dull school building. Steve took his keys, instantly getting out the car and jogging towards Aaron, who Cassie could see watching her from the rearview mirror. She sighed, also hopping out the vehicle and sauntering tiredly.

When she approached the school, she set her eyes on Jonathan Byers, who was pinning Missing posters of Will on the wall. Cassie sighed sadly, walking over to him.

"Hi," she softly said, taking the Byers boy by surprise. They had talked a few times when she went over to look after Will, but she wouldn't say they were good friends yet.

"Oh, hi," he showed a small smile, his eyes still full of gloom.

"How's your Mom holding up?" Cassie asked him sympathetically.

"She's, uh, to be honest she's not doing good," he told her, looking down at the ground.

Cassie sighed quietly. "Have the police given any new news about where he might be yet?" Jonathan just shook his head sorrowfully in reply. "Well, Will id the smartest kid I know, I'm sure he'll turn up, Jonathan," she reassured him. Although she wasn't to sure with her own words.

"Thanks, Cassie," he lightly smiled again. She gave him a sad look, before pulling him into a loose hug, which he actually returned. Across his shoulder, Cassie could see Steve, Aaron, Tommy, Carol, Nancy Wheeler and Barbara Holland watching them from afar.