CHAPTER SIX

(episode six ; the monster)

"NANCY!" THE THREE YELLED OUT INTO THE NIGHT AIR, rushing through the woods with their flashlights held out.

"Nancy!"

"Where are you?!" Jonathan shouted.

"Jonathan!" they heard a faint yell. "Cassie!"

"We're right here!" Jonathan replied. "Nancy! Just follow my voice!"

"Nancy!" Cassie yelled as she followed Jonathan.

"Nancy!" Aaron joined in.

"Follow my voice, Nancy, we're right here!" Jonathan panted.

His eyes widened at something. He ran over to a tree, dropping his bag to the floor. Cassie and Aaron quickly followed behind with heavy breaths.

"What the fuck...," Aaron trailed off.

At the bottom of the tree trunk, was a large, gaping hole with a bright red light inside. Spider web like things covered it as it squelched.

"Nancy?" Jonathan quietly asked, shining the flashlight at the hole. He knelt down, leaning towards it. "Nancy, follow my voice!"

He leant further towards it. Cassie stood right beside him, leaning her face closer to it. Suddenly, a hand reached through the slime. The three gasped, jumping backwards.

"Jonathan!" Nancy yelled.

"Nancy!" the three shouted back. They all huddled together, grabbing her wet hand together and pulling her through. They all grunted, trying to force her out the strong thing. Eventually, she fell out, landing flat on Jonathan and Aaron.

She sobbed into them as they all lay on the floor. Cassie knelt on her knees beside them, comforting her with a hand on her back.

                                       ——

Nancy and Jonathan went back tp the Wheeler household, whereas Aaron insisted on taking Cassie back home. She didn't even try make him go home. She was to shaken up.

He helped the girl climb up the tree outside her window, following behind her once she was up safely. They both grunted as they got over the window sill, panting slightly.

Cassie just stood there, not really knowing what to do with herself. Aaron brushed himself off after he had landed inside the bedroom. He looked over to the girl and sighed when he saw her state. He walked over to her slowly, wrapping his arms around her tightly.

"It's okay. Your safe now," Aaron whispered into her hair. She sniffed lightly into his chest. "I won't let it hurt you, I promise."