CHAPTER FIVE

(episode five ; the flea and the acrobat)

CASSIE SLIPPED ON HER SLIM BLACK DRESS, nestling a matching black bow into her plaited brown hair. She carefully applied some thick mascara to her soft eyelashes. She dipped her toes into her black heels. She took one last look in the mirror, brushing off her dress and letting out a big sigh before exiting her bedroom due to her mothers calls.

"I'm coming, mom," she sighed again, rolling her eyes.

"I'm sorry, honey. Just this whole situation has me all stressed out and you know how I get when I'm stressed," her mother said with a soft smile. "Now come here, let me take a look at you." The woman reached out her hands, taking her daughter by the shoulders.

"Please don't touch my hair, Mom," Cassie complained, swatting her hand away.

"Just making sure it's not greasy," she told her, a comcentrated look on her face as she examined the top of the girls head. Cassie huffed. "Okay, now give me a quick spin in that dress of yours."

"Really, Mom?" Cassie groaned.

Her Mother widened her eyes in urgency, making Cassie roll her eyes for the dozenth time. She awkwarly turned around, throwing her arms to the side as she did so.

"Hmm," Mrs Harrington thought. "Maybe we could've used with the extra size up on the dress."

As if the Harrington girl wasn't crushed already, her Mother had just made it worse as usual.

"It feels just fine, Mom," she muttered, fidgeting with her hands.

The woman shrugged, her heels making loud clunking noises on the smooth floors as she reached for her handbag.

"Honey! Steve!" she yelled up the stairs.

Suddenly, loud footsteps ran down the stairs in a hurry. Steve ran a hand through his large head of hair in front of the mirror. Mr Harrington followed behind him boredly.

"Who was this kid again?" he asked his wife. Cassie shot him a look which no one noticed.

"Will Byers; the boy Cassie used to babysit," Mrs Harrington responded in a rush.

"And why are we going again?" the man grunted as he put his watch onto his wrist.

Cassie scoffed, shaking her head. "I don't know, to show some respect maybe?"

"You want to show some respect at a funeral for some kid, why don't you show some respect for your own Father sometime," he snapped at his daughter. "Watch your attitude."

The girl didn't respond, used to her Fathers temper. She plopped herself on a kitchen stool, fiddling with her nails as she waited for her family.

"Stupid thing," Steve stressfully said, throwing his tie to the floor. His sister looked over to him, rolling her eyes again and walking over to him.