FOUR | bless my soul

" and i ain't gotta tell him, i think he knows "

     ELLIE FLITTED AROUND my house while i multitasked reading two books

ELLIE FLITTED AROUND my house while i multitasked reading two books. one about potions, the other hamlet. i wanted her to help me read it, since it's meant to be performed rather than read, but she declined because she struggled with the shakespearean english.

i started to smell peanut butter and figured she was making cookies. why couldn't she do this at her own house? "don't clean anything up," i called out to her, "let me know when you're done and magic will take care of it."

"that's so cool!" i heard her exclaim. then, there was a clang, and i heard an "oh shit!"

i laughed and shook my head, knowing she'd figure it out herself, and went back to double-timing my books. a few minutes later she walked out of the kitchen with an apron on, looking exhausted. i raised an eyebrow at her.

"i was moving the cookies so they would cool down, and i dropped the pan and lost a couple cookies," she explained with a sigh.

i smiled. "five second rule?"

she shook her head. "they actually crumbled into pieces cause they were so fresh."

"ah," i let out, nodding. "well, did you salvage a few?"

"yeah, i saved most of them," she assured me. "only a few fallen soldiers."

"well, i'll go clean up, then," i said, getting up and walking into the kitchen. was it a mess? yes, very. but i pulled out my wand and started to bewitch some of the things to clean themselves. there was a knock at the door, but i wasn't worried. "can you get the door, ellie?"

"yup, got it!" she replied, and i heard her footsteps skittering towards the entrance.

i heard her start to have a conversation with someone, but i couldn't make out what they were saying, nor who it was. i just continued cleaning, knowing ellie would stop them from coming in. then, i heard her shout, "THE BIRD IS IN THE NEST!!!" and i waved my wand, making everything stop with a clang, shoved my wand into my pocket, and tried to ask inconspicuous.

i watched as edward appeared, a confused look on his face. "what was that secret code?" he questioned.

"what secret code?" i asked, leaning on the counter. "i didn't hear a secret code, we're nothing if not transparent."

i could tell him, but why would i want him to find out i'm a witch by walking in on my dishes doing themselves? probably one of the worst ways to find out. he'd probably freak out or something.

i walked over and peered toward the doorway, but i didn't see ellie. i gave edward a suspicious look. "where did ellie go?"

he gave me a crooked grin. "oh, uh- emmett and rosalie took her. sorry about that, they've seem to taken a liking to her."