These Four Walls (Sally McKenna)

You came to the Cortez for the same reason most did. Your car broke down and you were broke. A junkie took a special interest in you which resulted in your untimely demise. From that day, you were trapped within the stale walls of this horrible hotel. But unlike the rest of the eternal inhabitants, you were hunted. Sally, your killer and ex-girlfriend raced through the decaying halls every minute, trying to find your essence. 

You were quiet as you ran through the Cortez. Of course, you preceded Sally, always. You had long since learned you didn't need to, and how not to, breathe. It made it a little harder for your junkie to follow you. It gave you a head-start. Sometimes, you allowed yourself a moment to breathe and it felt like no more than a breath before you heard her urgent heel-clicking footsteps. You took off again, hair and coat jostling from the abrupt movement. As you went, you saw the very grime still clinging to you from your murder, fall to the ground. You saw the carpet behind you was giving you away with tracks. 

After however long you'd been dead, you were still so clueless about your new existence. Was it new? No one dressed like you anymore, but did they ever? Her pumps came into view at the beginning of the tracks and you were forced to scream from the pressure on your chest. You spun back forward and jumped back as Sally stood before you, leopard print jacket hanging off one shoulder, exposing her single-strapped skin. Her cheeks were lined with wetness, but she smiled gleefully. "Hey, baby doll."

Your eyes jerked far away, trying to avoid her relieved loving gaze. 

"No!" Sally demanded. "No, you stay." She took a step toward you, trying to dominate you and take control. But, like Sally, you had your own discoveries. You took her advance as a threat, because what else could your murderer's presence mean? You turned and dove through a wall. You travelled slightly down the shaft and threw yourself out on a random level, away from Sally. You had also learned not to follow the chute all the way down lest you be confronted with the recent corpses. You walked through the door, invisible to the patrons. And found the laundry room easily. The redhaired employee of the hotel regarded you with mild surprise. "Hello," you greeted. You were then overwhelmed with insecurity and confusion. "I'm sorry. What- what is your name?" 

The maid continued fold her laundry. "Hazel Evers. If I may say so, you look a fright, miss. And for such a long-term resident. I hear your foot stomps day and night, and I'm aware of your conundrum with the streetwalker, but really." With a series of scolding tongue clicks, Ms. Evers resumed her folding. "You must work on your tactics." 

You looked around at the outfits from many decades, and the other laundry linens. "Do you have any clean clothing which won't be missed?" 

With an approving hum, Ms. Evers disappeared from the room, returning with a cardboard box filled to brim with neatly folded clothes. "Several." 

Smiling, you reached for the clothing on top before noticing the state of your skin. You gawked at the filth on your hands, taking in your entirely once more. It was like you always forgot the bigger factors of your life - or death - until they were right in your face. You hardly remembered you were dead, or why you were running until you saw Sally, your reminder. When you were still long enough, you felt the sharp of her knife in your back. You tried to recall your youth, parents, but it was all blank. Focusing on your sight, on possibly controlling something, you decided you had to find a bathroom to bathe, but you couldn't take any clothes without dirtying them up with your touch. 

And Sally was clicking down the hall, calling your name. 

In the face of so many complications, you teared up. Squeezing your eyes shut to hold them back, you relaxed when you felt a touch. 

Miss Evers touched your arms, holding you at a distance. "Come with me." Taking the box of clean clothes came out into a room piled high with folded clean linen and some filthy ones Hazel seemed to want to keep around. "I'll put an assortment of garments in a single box in the bathroom while you shower."