Ascending Transference (Mildred Ratched & Diane Sherman)

Days bled together when you worked at a hospital. Being the senior psychiatric doctor at Lucia State Hospital meant you were always on-call. You didn't mind; the mind was your passion. Your work was your love, your life. So it was a surprise when the head nurse came to you, informing you of a woman in your waiting room, seeking a job. 

You followed the cyan uniformed woman to find a finely dressed lady sitting simi-patiently. "Hello. I'm the Chief Physician of Lucia. I understand you believe you were requested to come by Dr. Hanover." You introduced yourself fully and shook Mildred Ratched's hand. 

Those brown eyes took you in with careful criticism and she lit up with surprise after a moment. "Yes. My interview was supposed to start several hours ago. I understand Dr. Hanover's work is very important-" 

"Dr. Hanover isn't even working." You raised an eyebrow at the pushy woman, almost impressed. She was woefully gorgeous and you were halfway in love. "You want a night position and you have an Nurse's license?" Half smiling, Mildred nodded, tightening her lips. You frowned, observing the sign. "Well, then come with me." 

Nurse Bucket lost her smile, disappointed that you weren't wittily undressing the ginger. She watched you walk the woman towards your office. 

You led the auburn-haired RN to her chair, pleased you'd chosen to wear trousers. "What are your references?" 

"I was a nurse in the Pacific theatre during the war. I island-hopped with Admiral Nimitz's boys. Tarawa, Saipan, Okinawa." She flaunted her experiences and know-how, but you didn't hear a thing about where she gained her education. "Do you have scat throwers? Patients who throw their feces?" Mildred asked from across your desk. You were sat silently on your end, hands intertwined, chin propped on them; you nodded your affirmative. Mildred only increased in intensity, trying to convince you. "Well, that won't faze me. I've encountered many cases of soldiers with battle fatigue, who lost their wits entirely. Men who would try to rape a woman if they could get ahold of her, and when they couldn't, would content themselves with throwing excrement.... Ejaculate.... But I was not deterred, Doctor. In fact, I was invigorated.... Because I was a member of the most unsung profession we have in this country. We had a saying in the Corps: 'Save one life, and you're a hero. Save 100 and you're a nurse'," she croaked out. 

You just kept staring at her, trying to work out the intricacies of her story. "Well-" 

"If I may ask one more inquiry, Doctor? Do you believe the human mind can be cured?" 

It was a profound question and you found yourself answering from the heart as if on pure instinct. "No. Some chemical imbalances or brain trauma can be mended with simple narcotics, but deeper illnesses bear a lifelong battle, and the patient must be an active participant. They have to want to get better." Rifling through your papers on your desk, of course none were useful for the task at hand. "Ms. Ratched, you are very passionate, and fascinatingly moving..." You touched her records on your desk... "Do you have replicas of your resume or is this that? I'd like to keep this information while I think." You laid your palm on the closed folder. 

A small smile quirked her face. "Well, if you'd like to contact me, I'm staying at a hotel just now. It's-" 

You laid your hand on her arm as you walked to the office door. Mildred thankfully fell silent, so you didn't have to cut her off. "There's only one. I will ask for Mildred Ratched." The redhead bobbed and again with a sterner expression as you both saw Betsy Bucket outside of your office. You asked the rounding security guard to show Mildred to the exit, then you frowned scoldingly at Betsy, returning to your desk. 

Betsy followed without invitation. "That was cruel, giving that woman hope she could gain employment here." You sat against your desk, visitor side, and just stared at the Head Nurse. "Well, our staff is already at capacity. Dr. Hanover has been trying to increase the budget any. We can't pay her." You raised another eyebrow. The audacity of this woman. "You can't hire her."